Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman69, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    I am about to buy an ampeg svt-610 cabinet with a svpcl preamp, and a qsc plx 1202, my question is will the ampeg cabinet handle this power amp running in bridge mode, or should i go with the plx 1602 and run just thru one side of the amp.

thanks

2. Go with a PLX-2402 if you can, or failing that a 1602.

The larger ones (2402 and above) are more efficient and give you lots of flexibility and headroom.

I run a 3002 and don't feel it's excess.

The 1202 is only 200 watts or so per channel at 8 ohms stereo.

Aloha,

Jonathan

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The RMX850 would put in a near-perfect amount of power for that cab.... just sucks that its 38lbs. But then again, you will be lugging a friggon 610 around with you :p

I guess a lot of it rides on how much power you think you'll need. 500Watts is a good amount of power, even though its not nearly as much as 1200. Also, you'd have the other half of the amp if you ever needed it. You could always pick up an Avatar SB112 for a VERY cheap price and tack on 500 more watts if you ever needed to.

But... thinking about it now, I really do think that you should just pick up the PLX1202 and run it bridged. As long as your not clipping it out of control I think the Ampeg will be fine, really. Much more than that, and I'd say "get something else"..... but 1200Watts seems like its just at the limit. Plus with more power, you wont have to crank as much.

4. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    yeah,, that was my thinking with 1202 amp, because the ampeg has 1200 program handling and 600 watts rms, so i could the 1202 bridged and just run the amp volume at about half way. whereas with the 1602 i could just run one side maxed.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Half way, or maxed? Use the gain controls to get the level you want. Both amps have the same gain, and in bridged mono you get an extra 6 dB of gain.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My thoughts, exactly :)

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Running the amp volume half way doesn't necessarily mean the cab's going to "only" get 600 watts into it, it just means it'll take more preamp signal to reach full output. You still need to trust your ears and instincts to prevent frying speakers. The amp/cab matchup should work fine though, in any case.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Thank you. ;)

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1 bigger is better if you can afford it.

of course, mr starr also blows speakers on occasion - :p

(ok, sorry, but i just recalled that as i saw your post. i'm sure i'll do the same thing with my stew 2.1 one of these days - ;) )