Power Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDude24, Aug 5, 2001.

1. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Don't know how many times this has been asked in the past, but I am going to ask again because I have recieved mixed opinions from different people (I'm guessing that half of them didn't know what they were saying)

At a local music store there is a used Ampeg SVT-1540HE, and it was only used for like 3 months. The price has dropped a lot since it went on their showroom floor (about a year ago) and this store has a 6 month same as cash deal with approved credit, so nevertheless I am going to buy the damn thing even though I have nothing to power it with, I will wait to get that later.

I do however have a 400 watt crown power amp that my old band used for our PA, I picked it up at an auction for cheap.

So, the question is, can I use the head from my existing amp as a pre-amp by using its built in line out, and using the crown as a power amp (I know it is but...) to power this ampeg cab? Just curious, cause I have no problem letting this cab sit in my basement unused untill I can get like an SVT-3Pro head if I have to, but with the power amp it would seem like it would be sitting there in vain.

Thanks For Your Help (I hope)
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes, You can do it, and I encourage you to do it.
    You could even end up with a better sound than a SVTIII PRO
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Of course, that all depends on what kind of amp you have now.
    If he's using a 300 ruble, Russian-made Ampegsky, he's probably going to want to cut his losses and just get the SVT-3.
  4. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Thanks, I have a Carvin PB200 combo amp and I like the sound it gets, if I wanted to I could get a good pre-amp, but it will do till I can get a nice sounding head.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Actually, the way I read it, he's using a Carvin PB-200 (check the profile:p)
  6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Then I encourage you to buy just a Good preamp.
    Not mocking the Carvin, but maybe you could buy an Ampeg SVP-PRo preamp that would sound really great.
  7. I agree with luis fabara and get a pre amp instead of the SVT-3pro. I own the Ampeg SVT-1840HE which is just an 18" woofer instead of the 15". I also own a crown ce-2000 and the swr grand-prix pre amp.
    its damn loud and it has really nice tone. if you get a pre amp it will save you lots of $$$
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I second that. buy the cab and use your carvin to run the poweramp.. or if the cab can handle it.. use the carvin for the highs, and the poweramp for the lows.. you get more use out of it that way...
    Then when you have the cash buy a good preamp.. there are lots. . if you like ampeg the svp-pro is my choice.. the bsp isn't as good imo. Then if you like the sound and want more volume.. just get a bigger poweramp... or if you like the volume but the ampeg sound doesn't do it for you.. you can get a different preamp...