Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbradford, Aug 23, 2001.

1. dbradford

dbradford

May 7, 2001
    Cary, NC
    I've always used "integrated" amps (right now, an Eden Traveler) and so have no real grasp of all the ins and outs of pairing preamps and power amps.

My current band is trying to figure out an equitable way of dividing up the expense of a buying a PA so that if we disband, we don't have the who owes who what quandry.

I'm thinking that I'll sign up for buying the power amp, but would like one that can do double service as a bass amp (probably chained off an Alembic F-1X, if I ever get aroud to it).

Are there any caveats I ought to be aware of? Are there compromises and tradeoffs in buyin an amp that is suitable for both jobs or is a power amp a power amp regardless of the application?

Are the Crown CE1000 and the Carvin DCM1000 reasonable candidates?

Thanks for a bit of guidance.

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Depending on your rig and PA set up, I really dont think either of those will be enough. Either would be ok to run your rig, but doubtful for your PA. But like I said depends on your set up.

IMHO I think you would be better served by buying 2 separate amps, save the headache.

Mike

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Your logic is very sound. I did that very thing and I still use the amps today. Speakers get old and tore up, the mixer gets outdated but the amps just keep on runnin'.

I agree with Mr. Mulcahy as to your short list. I would suggest gathering more information from sound (PA) people, not that there's anything wrong with Crown or Carvin. Keep in mind the most you can expect from a 110 VAC is maybe 1800 watts, so don't get caught up in high power output.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    O.K. so I knda got a third party Crown endorsement and maybe I'm not the most objective but....

I use a CE1000 and it's great. Before that I was using a macrotech series 2400.

The macrotech was a LITTLE bit fatter on the top end but for me there was NO decernable difference on the bottom which surprised me and several others who agreed.

I have no experience with the carvin, but if the CE 1000 didn't spank it's booty all over the stage I would be astounded.

And the difference in re-sale value is an issue as well...

5. Bob at QSC set me straight on this one. He says the high power amps will deliver significantly more than the 1800 watt limit, but in very short bursts. Since bass is short burst by nature, my advice is get the biggest amp you can afford. You can always use the headroom.