1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iritan, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    When using a power amp for your bass rig, is it necessary to use a bass specific power amp, or could you use one that is meant for a PA?

2. Nothing wrong with using a PA style power amp, tons of bass players use QSC etc power amplifiers with excellent results :)

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Doesn't need to be bass-specific. It would be good to get one rated anywhere from equal to your speaker's wattage to 1-1/2 to 2 times that. Example: The speakers I use are rated as 350 W RMS. The maker of the enclosure who puts this brand out says "about 500 watts is good". I use a 700 watt amp but I'm careful.

Be sure to get something reliable(QSC, Crown, Crest, etc.). You usually get what you pay for in power amps.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    It doesn't really matter, and just like anything else, many people claim certain PA power amps sound especially good for bass guitar use.

5. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Cool thanks.

6. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    This is a little unrelated but I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the yamaha bbt head could be run through a power amp? I was just wondering because I heard that it was too quiet, and if I came to the same conclusion but liked the sound I could just get a nice power amp.

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Don't forget - you'll need a preamp. Most bass "amps" have both a preamp and poweramp built into the same chassis (like my Ampeg SVT-2, for example).

In a pinch, anything that provides enough voltage gain can function as a preamp. For example, I could use my dbx compressor as a preamp.

8. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Read this:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=8990

It talks about the Yamaha BTB head (a head is a preamp and power amp combined), and has a bunch of pictures of the front and back. I didn't read the whole article, but you should find it informative.

Yamaha's website also yields some info (although their page does not render properly in my browser):
    http://yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%253D60044%2526CTID%253D,00.html

9. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Yeah, I knew about the preamp power amp thing, but thanks for trying to be helpful. What I was trying to ask was if anyone knew whether or not you could bypass the power amp section of the Yamaha in lieu of a better power amp. But I'll check out that article, hopefully it'll help. Thanks.