1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GlutenFreeBass, Aug 9, 2007.

1. I currently have a Markbass 4x10 8ohm cab.
    I also have a Sansamp BDDI

I was wondering, can I use the sansamp as a pre and get a poweramp to run the cab?

Ive been looking at some Crown power amps and getting confused by the whole bridged/mono 2 channeled ratings.

Hoping one of you guys could either explain this to me or recommend a Crown amp that would work. Thanks.

-GFB

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes you can use the Sansamp as a pre to drive most (maybe not all) power amps. Look for the amp's input sensitivity rating- the smaller the number (like .7 volt to 1.2 v), the better it will be driven by the BDDI.

The whole bridged/mono thing is this: Many power amps have two separate channels of power. That way they can be run in stereo, like for a DJ or PA setup. The ones that can bridge are able to take the power from both channels and apply it to one single mono channel. So the stereo ratings are for each channel being used separately, and the bridged is when you are connecting them to run as a mighty mono unit.

Any Crown will work, they are a fine brand. Do some reading on power amps in this forum, there are many really good brands available. Crest, Carvin, Stewart, and QSC are some other very popular brands.

3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    In my limited experience, I'd say that while you certainly can use that BDDI as your preamp, you'd be smart to try it (if you can) before you get your power amp expecting it to work fine for you. The Sansamp doesn't have the most flexible eq on the planet and might not send the tone you want to the power section.

Try plugging in the output of your BDDI into the effects return of a head that's hooked up to your cab and see what you can make it do for you. I threw out this caution because I tried it with my new setup and while it works, I wouldn't want to rely on it for my main tone. I'd consider it to be more of an emergency preamp if my Ampeg BSP takes a dump.

Having a honkin' power amp, though... MAN, I highly recommend it!