1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arjune, Feb 25, 2008.

1. arjune

arjune

Oct 8, 2006
    SF, CA
    So, I was reading through the manual of my BBE Bmax, and it says that I should always power up my power amp after the preamp because of possible damage to the preamp. Is this true? I'd really prefer to just be able to flick on my power conditioner and be ready to go without the extra step. That's half the reason that I have the power conditioner!

What's the deal?

2. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Most power amps take a while to power up.

I have one that takes about two minutes.

So if you hit the on switch, the preamp will come on and power amp will be online after the preamp...

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's no way AFAIK that any damage could result to the preamp. However if you switch on the preamp and the power amp at the same time, there may well be a loud "pop" sound which can in fact damage your speakers.

4. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You definitely want to turn on the power amp last. You also want to turn off the power amp first. This keeps the preamp's on and off surges from blowing your speakers. It doesn't do anything to protect your preamp though.

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If the power amp has a turn-on delay and instant turn-off, as most pro ones do, then you should be able to turn them on and off at the same time.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I've always known my QSC has delayed turn on and instant turn-off, but I never put 2+2 together to realize I could just hit my power conditioner on/off. I've always done the last on first off.