1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pjh2112, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Here is my situation. I have a peavey tvx210 and a line 6 pod xt pro (rackmount). I was thinking about getting a power amp to pair with the line 6 and run through the cab. I have an amp that I gig with, this would just be for home use so I don't have to lug my amp around. But just wanted to know what everyone thinks about this set up, and what kind of power amps would be good to get. I have about $300 to spend.

And one more question. I also have thought about getting a LMII for the 210. The 210 is 4ohm rated at 175watts. Is the LMII to powerful to use with this cab?

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Why not just buy a cheap, small combo for home practice?

The point of practice is to hear yourself. You don't want a "nice" tone: something that shows off all your fret and finger noises will really force you to clean up your playing. Then, when you play with your normal gigging amp, you sound much better!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I agree with that. But if you really want a power amp, Carvin is blowing out their excellent DCM power amps for super cheap right now.

The LMII is not too powerful unless you hit a big signal spike, so keep your playing dynamics under control and your levels moderate, and it will be fine. Or fail to keep your dynamics and levels under control, and it will blow the cab. :D

4. pjh2112

pjh2112

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the bit of info about the carvin. I've heard they're good.