Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 23, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i was reading on the hc forum that if you use a sansamp bddi into a power amp, you need something to boost the signal. is this true also for the svp pro? if i was to run an svp pro into a qsc rmx 850, would i need something to boost the signal, or would the svp do that already?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    its true if you use a Sansamp bass driver D.I that you need something to boost the signal... it is very very weak...

how ever an svp-pro preamp would not need any boosting.. It is designed to go straight into a power amp.. the SBDDI is more for running through a P.A.. or adding to the sound of your bass running through an existing preamp...

Before I had a rack preamp.. I ran my sansamp through my dcm1500... and i couldn't get it to be loud to save my life... thats not the case with everything now of course ;)

3. To expand upon what ldiezman posted, a power amp, like the RMX850, needs to get it's audio signal input from a preamp. In it's simplest form, a direct injection (D.I.) box isn't a preamp. It simply prepares the signal so it can be fed directly into a mixing board which has it's own preamps. Ths signal path looks something like this...bass>>DI>>mixer>>power amp>>PA speakers. Some D.I. boxes take the signal directly from the bass while others I have used plug into the ext speaker output of your amp.

The SVP Pro is a preamp and has everything the power amp needs. All the voicing, tone control, EQ and other effects are handled by the preamp. The signal path goes...bass>>preamp>>power amp>>bass cabs. Many companies (Sansamp, Alembic, SWR, Demeter, Ashdown, Ampeg, Peavey, Eden, etc...) make bass preamps that will do the job and each have their strong points and their own unique features.

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    thanks...that's good to know. what do you guys think of a used svp pro that's recently been retubed for $275 plus shipping. sound like a good deal?

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    SVP-pro preamps usually go around $490 or so new.. $275 seems like a good price to me.. so long as its in good condition.. ty offering $250 and see what happens.. its worth a try