Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Sep 15, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    On a typical two channel power amp there are four out puts, if the amp is rated @ 1000 watts per channel @ 2 ohms, does this mean i am getting 400 watts for each output or is the power split between each output and what happens to the resistance, is it seen as an 8 ohm load per each output or as a combined 4ohm load?

2. I'm not exactly sure what you're describing, but here's my assumptions:

2 channels, 1000 Watts each into 2 ohms.
    each channel has (2) 1/4" output jacks, wired in parallel, for a total of 4 outputs.

This means that on each jack, you can put a 4 Ohm load, and you would get 500 Watts into each 4 ohm load, which would give 1000 Watts per channel, 2000 watts total. Or you could just put a 2 ohm load into a single jack on each channel and you would get 1000 Watts into each 2 ohm load, 2000 watts total. Or you could plug an 8 ohm load into each jack and you would get 250 Watts into each 8 ohm load, 500 Watts per channel since you have a total load of 4 ohms per channel, and therefore 1000 Watts total.

Limits: Never have a total load lower than 2 ohms on a channel or you could fry the amp.

Chris

[Edited by throbbinnut on 09-15-2000 at 03:33 PM]

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    It would help if you picked an amp... then folks could pick over the specs...

jc