1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Sep 15, 2000.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    On a typical two channel power amp there are four out puts, if the amp is rated @ 1000 watts per channel @ 2 ohms, does this mean i am getting 400 watts for each output or is the power split between each output and what happens to the resistance, is it seen as an 8 ohm load per each output or as a combined 4ohm load?

2. I'm not exactly sure what you're describing, but here's my assumptions:

2 channels, 1000 Watts each into 2 ohms.
    each channel has (2) 1/4" output jacks, wired in parallel, for a total of 4 outputs.

This means that on each jack, you can put a 4 Ohm load, and you would get 500 Watts into each 4 ohm load, which would give 1000 Watts per channel, 2000 watts total. Or you could just put a 2 ohm load into a single jack on each channel and you would get 1000 Watts into each 2 ohm load, 2000 watts total. Or you could plug an 8 ohm load into each jack and you would get 250 Watts into each 8 ohm load, 500 Watts per channel since you have a total load of 4 ohms per channel, and therefore 1000 Watts total.

Limits: Never have a total load lower than 2 ohms on a channel or you could fry the amp.

Chris

[Edited by throbbinnut on 09-15-2000 at 03:33 PM]

3. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    It would help if you picked an amp... then folks could pick over the specs...

jc