Power amp question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wushuguy, Aug 22, 2003.

1. wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Is there anything wrong with using just one channel in stereo mode? Would I just leave the second channel gain turned down?
    My setup is an SVP--> QSC 1850HD--> Avatar B115H (8 ohm) if it matters.
    I have a speakon in the channel one output to a 1/4" in the Avatar. This is ok also right?
    Thanks for any help.
  2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    It should be fine to run only one channel of a Stereo amp.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Straight from the QSC website............

"Is it ok to run only one channel on my amplifier and can I mismatch loads?"

You may do both. Your amplifier can be loaded with a very wide range of speaker impedances. The minimum impedance is 2 ohms for stereo operation while it is 4 ohms for bridge mono operation. All QSC amplifiers are designed to operate safely into infinite load impedances (no speakers). Loading arrangements from one channel to the next can vary in any way you wish. In fact, you can load one channel with a distributed voltage load, using an output transformer, and use the other channel to drive a direct low impedance load.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey wushuguy....I was happy to help. Although it was not my knowledge, I still found the most reliable answer for you.

I have had so many people here at TB help me recently, I figured I should help out whenever I can.