Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 29, 2004.

1. i was looking on the back panel of the QSC RMX 1450 on qscaudio.com and there are 4 things (buttons?) on the back there are two black ones and two red ones what are they for????

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Those aren't buttons. They're speaker binding posts. It's just another kind of speaker connection. It's not a connection you'll use for instrument amplification.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Banana Plugs!

Yummy :cool:

4. so when i get my QSC RMX 1450,BBE B-MAX, AND schroeder 410 cab
    i wont use those reed and black things at all?

what cables do i need to hook everything up?

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Won't even touch that one. :D

The banana jacks are helpful when you're running high power for extended periods of time. Under those conditions, the speaker wire tends to get hot, and ordinary 1/4" phone jacks aren't really intended to carry high currents anyway. I use the banana jacks on my Stewart 2.1 (2100 watts) to drive the subs, which are rated at a thousand watts apiece. That means each speaker wire is handling a thousand watts, which is quite a bit of heat. Ordinary phone plugs can get very hot to the touch under those conditions, and cheap ones can even melt!

6. You'll more than likely need: 1/4" TRS to Speakon or XLR (depends on the power amps input), the amps output ( i assume speakon) to the cabs input (either 1/4" or speakon).
    1/4"TRS to speak/xlr for preamp out to power in
    speakon to 1/4"/speakon for amps out to speaker in

Anyway, hope that made sense! :smug:

7. You can download the manual from the QSC site, it's got a good explanation of all the features. I've got the RMX1850HD and it really rocks. Only downside is its weight.

If you're considering the 1450, spend the couple extra bucks and get the 1850 instead, not only does it have more power but it also has better cooling for running low impedance loads.