Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmc, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have a 1-15 rated at 250 watts at 8ohms. I am considering a power amp rated at 320 watts per side into 8 oms. A drummer friend has an Inkel power amp kicking around that he is not using and it can be had for cheap.

1. Can I run a power amp using one channel only, hooking up the cab to once channel and no load on the other?

2. I don't have the specs for what this amp would put out bridged, but I guess it could be over 700 watts into 8ohms. I frequently read about guys over powering cabs and I understand the risks. If I were to use it in bridge mode, do I keep the amp volume low and pre-amp gain high or vice versa to minimize speaker damage?

(Bob Lee...I tried to find that magazine you suggested last month while I was in Montreal on business and no one carries it...so no further ahead on this topic of power/speakers)

Thanks folks.

bmc

2. You can use one channel on a power amp no problem. I would check the power rating on that cab before you decide if you want to bridge it or not. I think that one channel should be enough power to power that one cab. Find the power rating on the cab and if it is lower or close to the one channel rms i wouldnt bridge it because you will have to have the volume very low on the amp but you can deffinitly run a cab on a single channel or bridged.
    Good luck,
    Dave

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Thanks Dave.

I'm looking for a cheap way to get the good rig. The cab is a new SWR Basic 2-Way. Despite being outof production since 1998, I picked it up new in shop for a good price. The power may come at an equally if not lower price (as in trading it for Sadowsky Outboard Preamp). The owner is a buddy and drummer I often work with. The cab is rated at 250 watts at 8 ohms. The amp puts out 320. That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the response.

Brian

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Solid state amps can run with no load attached. No problem.

I think you'd be safer (or at least your loudspeaker would be, huh?) running the loudspeaker on one channel of the amp instead of bridging. You might bridge the amp and keep the power down enough to not damage the loudspeaker, but it might not be a very forgiving setup.

I'll contact you on the backchannel about the magazine.