Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp rating question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ron Now, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I want to bi-amp my setup in a non-conventional way. I am currently running a hughes and kettner bassbase 400 into 2 H&K 4x10's. I want to seperate the two cabs so different signals go into each.

What I am planning is to use my bassbase for my dry/clean signal with an emphasis on the low end of my tone running to the bottom 4x10. Then run a small poweramp/preamp setup that will focus on my midrange/effects into the top 4x10. (I use alot of distortions and other effects)

I am wondering if a 150watt power amp would be enough power to drive my upper midrange and above frequencies + the effects.

I have tried something simaler to this once by using a guitar half stack for my high range freq and sending the lows into the bassbase and the 8 10's and I noticed I did not need nearly as much power out of the guitar amp as I did the bass.

Basically I would like to know if anyone thinks this idea would work or if a 150watt poweramp would not have enough power to pull off my idea. I guess this is more of an opinion question overall, but any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. I would think that would be more than enough... that's why a 50 watt guitar amp can overwhelm a 500 watt bass head, all other things being equal. You don't need many watts for volume from the mids and above... especially if you want a little 'dirt' in sound, which most do with a 'split' rig like that.

I believe that before there were all these full range cabs like today, bassists like Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, etc. did just what you are talking about to achieve a nice treble response that just wasn't available with the 'state of the art' amps back then.