Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp recomendations. cheap please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Jan 25, 2006.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi
    I have a ABM300 head soon to be running into a Schroeder 1210 4ohms and i was thinking of adding a power amp to drive the 1210 a bit harder for any gigs i get that the ABM cant handle (in 3 years 300watts in to 8ohms 1x15 has been enough).
    Im not looking for more than maybe 500-800watts, just something to give me a bit more headroom.
    im in the Uk so would rather order here but would like to keep the price low (say no more than £500).
    Is this pratical?

thanks

Dave.

2. You could look into the QSC rmx series. I believe they are the cheapest of the QSC line.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks, ill have a look
    Its just an idea at the moment as i noticed quite a few players here are using power amps but so far i havent really looked in to it much.
    Ive seen a Crown XLS202 for £229 and a Behringer EP1500 for £169. powerwise both would be more than enough but im not sure about quality.
    As i wouldnt use it much i dont want to go to high price wise.

Dave.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll second the Crown XLS series, as a high quality, inexpensive solution. They lack some of the bells & whistles of the QSC's, like frequency limiters & an actual SWITCH that'll let you bridge or not. Also, it only accepts XLR inputs... But, you can get quite a bit power, for relatively little money.

I picked my XLS 402 off the bay, for less than $200. Additionally, it only wieghts 25lbs.

5. Spend a couple more bucks on something like a QSC over the Behringer. Quality and service are worth a couple of dollars.
    Be carefull with what you read about power ratings also. A Behringer 1500 watt amp is not likely to ever see anywhere close to 1500W.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    and im never likely to need anywhere near that but i take your point.
    I would be wary about the Behringer but im only going to need it for maybe 5-6 gigs a year and only to boost my ABM by a small amount, just to give more headroom so i can get a cleaner sound and if it went down its no big deal as i would still have the ABM's power amp.
    the Crown XLS series look very tempting though
    The QCS amps are more than a few bucks dearer and although they are under £500 i see no point in spending that much.
    however if i decide i want to use it all the time then i may look into getting one.
    thanks again

Dave.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thats a good price.
    i can get the same for £215 + delivery and it looks like its ideal for what i want.
    am i correct in thinking i can run the DI out of my head in to the Crown using a normal mic lead? i do have a line out but its on jack. i do also have adaptors, would this be ok?
    Do you run yours bridged? i would run it like that in to the 4ohms 1210 and cant think of any gig i have ever done that would need that sort of power. at that level we would be using a large PA.

Dave.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You're correct, sort of. You can go DI into ONE side of the amp. You'll need a special Y-adapter to feed into BOTH channels. At that point, you should decide if you want to feed 1 cab per channel, or just run it bridged.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I would only be running it bridged and in to one 1210 at 4ohms.
    would i still just plug in to one channel?

Dave.

10. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    """"""run the DI out of my head in to the Crown using a normal mic lead"""""""

I don't think this is what you want. If I'm not mistaken, the DI out on most heads is going to be attenuated for going into an XLR input of a mixer---to be then amplified by an XLR preamp.

If the head has a "line-out" OR the DI out level can be individual adjusted--that would be better.

Whatever the source for a signal into a power amp---it's best to get it closer to unity-level then I think most DI's provide. (might be wrong on this) ie you need to drive the inputs of the power amp at an appropriate sensitivity level.

If the amp is driven by a strong enough input signal--you may find that you have to turn up the sensitivity (level) knobs on the power amp higher and amplify more noise. If the input signal is really low---you may not be able to get the full power out of the amp.

The concept is the same for your PA system--you need try to get the max clean signal you can (approaching 0db) before the power amp stage.

11. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Bang for the buck, you're not going to beat the Behringer EP1500. They have proven themselves to be very solid amps.

I used one in my bass rig for almost 3 years until it was stolen, had no problem replacing it with another EP1500. We use 2 of the EP2500's in our PA as well.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I've been researching this same topic myself in the last few days.
    The Carvin DCM 1000 compares well to the Chinese QSC, Crown XLS series. The Carvin appears to have high reliability, buttons on the back for bridging, speakons, and front volume controls. It also bridges at 4 ohms for 1000 watts. I think it's 25 lbs too.

I think its my solution. Good luck, and may the power be with you.

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    TheABM has a 0db line out so i would use that i guess.
    im going to try and find a lightweight amp but if not ill get the EP1500

Thanks

Dave.

14. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    I use a Crown XLS-602

I also have a Behringer 2500 which I used to use in my bass rack but it's about 10lbs heavier than the Crown---the 10lbs make a difference

you can probably find a Crown pretty cheap---if you buy one used--it has a transferable warranty I think

15. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    If you only want a little extra the Carvin DCM600 is a good amp, or the DCM1000, I have both, and have had good luck.

16. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for all the recomendations.
    Ill have a look at all of them.
    As i stated earlier i hadnt really look in to this but as more suggestions come up i guess my idea of what i need has changed a bit.
    I had forgotten how heavy power amps can be so would like a 1U high if possible but still with about 600+ watts when bridged in to 4 ohms and of course cheapish. im now thinking if its light enough i may use it all the time just to help get a cleaner sound. i tend to run the ABM master at about just over half, although when my 1210 arrives im hoping i can turn it down a bit but i could still do with the extra headroom and for the louder gigs ill have pleanty with the power amp.

17. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    The superlight (and thin) types of power amps tend to be quite a bit more expensive however.

Power per pound--I think the Crown XLS series is a good trade off. In the mid 20's as far as weight goes.

What's the cheapest 1U amp that anyone knows of. Soundtech makes one I think.