Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp recomendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smallfry, Sep 29, 2004.

1. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    ok, so now that i know i can slave another power amp onto my walkabout, maybe you guys have some recomendations.

here is the scenario i imagine in my mind.

i have to gigs... one is an upright gig, where the walkabout and walkabout scout are fine. plenty of power and sound.

another gig... is a punk rock gig, where a little more power is requried. i have a peavy mark VIII 4 ohm cab, (2x8-1x15). i was thinking i could buy an additional power supply and slave it to the walkabout and scout for more power and thus run the additional 4ohm cab.

does this make sense to any of you and do you have recomendations on a power amp. of course, i am always looking for the least expensive solution, but also understand that you get what you pay for.

any recomendations are appreciated.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh here it is.............right on cue
    hello again
    well i'm a big fan of the stewart 2.1, the 1.6 is cool too. Lots of cats here use the 1.2 but it has a mixed reputation because it lacks a fan and CAN have heat issues. Another local favorite is the family of QSC PLX amps. Both of the aforementioned choices are light and powerful. But a bit expensive. My 2 cents is to save up and buy an amp powerful enough that in a year you wont be kicking yourself wishing you had spent 300 bucks more and gotten double the watts. However, there are a lot of other choices out there. And dont forget used, especially on the TB classifieds

check this thread out, and do some searches on this forum.

recent thread

3. smallfry

smallfry

Aug 30, 2004
    cool. thx. i am searching through the forum.

btw any opinions on this crown power amp?

crown power amp

looks pretty affordable.

or what about this carvin power amp.
    carvin power amp

its even more affordable. does that mean there is something wrong with it?