1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp recommendations for Peavey Max pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coltynp, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Coltynp

Coltynp

Aug 28, 2017
    Hey guys I’m planning on picking up a Peavey Max Preamp soon but I can’t decide on a power amp! I’m looking for something that can push some very low frequencies at very high volumes. I’m currently running an Ampeg SVT-CL and an Ampeg SVT-VR each into an Ampeg 810 cab, I’m happy with the volume I can push just not the tone. If anyone has any suggestions on a power amp I’d love to hear what you think might work for me!

2. John Swartz

John Swartz

Apr 9, 2008
    I've used both a QSC GX-5 and (currently) a Peavey IPR 3000 with good success.

John

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  3. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    You might want to try a used QSC RMX2450. It will double your power into each cabinet, it's not an expensive amp, and easy to re-sell if it's not quite what you want. The RMX series are just known for havig a lot of reserve power and people use them for subwoofer amps pretty often.

You are already pushing a ton of power, but if you need more low end, you'll need more power to do it.

4. Coltynp

Coltynp

Aug 28, 2017
    So I looked into the power amps that have been recommended so far and the QSC RMX2450 seems like the top contender, I also stumbled across the Peavey GPS 2600 which also seems like it will fit my needs. If anyone has used either of these I’d love to hear your opinion on how you think they’d compete volume wise into an Ampeg 810 against a 300 CL or VR. Also if anyone has anymore power amp suggestions of advice I’d love to hear it!