Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp setting question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muchsoul2u, Aug 12, 2005.

1. muchsoul2u

muchsoul2u

Jan 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I will be using a QSC1850HD power amp and a BBE BMax preamp with a Eden 2x10XLT rated at 350 watts.

1.When using one channel do you run the amp wide open?
    2.Would running the amp in bridged mono be over kill?
    3. If using 2 Eden XLT 2x10's, is running the amp wide open in bridged mono recommended?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No
    Yes
    No

Want me to be more specific?
    1. Wide open means the amp is at full power - wouldn't that be a bit overpowering?
    2. Same as the first, *2
    3. If those are 4 Ohms each, then you'll fry your amp. If they are 8 Ohms each, and you run the amp on full, then you'll fry your cabs

:rolleyes:
    It's like an amp. I hope you have used those before - you seem to be a member since 2002, yet you sound like a n00b who took up bass yesterday...

3. muchsoul2u

muchsoul2u

Jan 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for your reply. The cabs are 8 ohm. With a head you dont have to set the level of power going to your speakers so it's not like a bass head in that respect. The 1850hd is rated at 360 watts per side so thats why I asked if it should be run wide open, when using just one side. Thanks for your time anyway.....

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If it's just 8 Ohms, then you'll be fine; if it was 4 ohms, then that would be a bit different. If you need to, you can turn it up. But you don't necessarily have to. You can also turn up the preamp. If you run the power amp on full, you'll have if working harder, and you'll also have more THD

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Here we go again. ;)

Wide open doesn't mean "full power." For example, let's say you have the amp at full gain, but you're putting no signal into it. Therefore, no signal is coming out; the amp is putting out no power at all, which is much less than full power.

Let's say that at full gain a particular amp just reaches the threshold of clipping (i.e., ~ full rated power) into 8 ohms when you put a 1-volt signal into it. Then you turn the gain down a little. Can you still hit full power? Yes, if you increase the input signal enough.

Should you run your amp at full gain? You can, but it's usually better to just turn it up only as much as you need to.

6. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Who sounds like a noob? :rolleyes:

7. muchsoul2u

muchsoul2u

Jan 24, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Mr Lee, thank you very much, very helpful info.