1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp setup - opinions required pls

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deksawyer, Oct 25, 2006.

1. deksawyer

deksawyer

Jun 26, 2006
    Fife, Scotland
    Hi folks

Tomorrow I'l be receiving a pre/power setup and I'd like to ask some valued opinions on the best option in setting it up.

Cab specs;

2x Tech Soundsystems Neo 12" 8 Ohm 300w.

Amp specs;

Stereo Mode
    2 Ohms 480w
    4 Ohms 300w
    8 Ohms 205w

Bridge Mono Mode
    4 Ohms 800w
    8 Ohms 560w

So, in stereo mode, each cab will be receiving 205w@8Ohm, and in bridged mode, power will be shared by both cabs at 800w@4Ohm. I'll output from the bridged connection to the first cab and daisy chain to the second.

I have no use for stereo effects or anything like that, so I figure I'd be best to push the whole 800w through both cabs even though the RMS handling of each is only 300w.

I won't fry my new speakers, right??

Greetings from a very, very rainy Scotland!

D.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You should be ok as long as you don't max your amp out. If each speaker is rated 300W and you're giving them 400W, you should be in the clear by a good ways, even if you crank it pretty good.

If it starts to distort, just back off the volume.

However I'm sure others will chime in and see how loud or good it sounds just running the amp in stereo. If that will suffice, you won't be running your amp so hot (in bridged mode) and you'll still be getting enough juice.

I haven't bridged my new amp (PLX3402) yet, just cause I've had no need. Sure I will someday, but, it gives me 1100W @ 4 ohms stereo and does just fine.

:)

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021