1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by perkjos, May 6, 2015.

1. perkjos

perkjos

Mar 10, 2013
    Atlanta
    Hi folks, I'm in need of a powerful rig on a budget. I have a sadowsky DI/ preamp box that I like a lot. Would I be able to run it directly into a power amp and then run the power amp into a bass cab? I've seen a few threads about this but my lack of knowledge on the physics of electricity make me wonder if this will tear up my equipment. Any knowledge on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Depending on the preamp and poweramp, yes. I use a Zoom B3 preamp into my Crown poweramp, then go out to my cabs.

perkjos likes this.
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I don't think you want the DI out, but rather the "amp" out. In any case, no damage will result, but the Sadowsky outboard pre may not have enough output voltage to adequately run your power amp's input. Worse case is that it will be soft—the amp will not be getting a large enough signal from the pedal. Consult the manual for the power amp and see what the input voltage range is. Then check the Sadowsky pedal manual. It may list the output voltage.

IMHO, the Sadowsky pedal/pre is awesome but I don't expect it to have anymore output than a Sadowsky onboard pre-amp, which does not have enough output to drive a power amp.

If they are in the same range, you are set. However, there is a good chance that the pedal can't drive the amp well enough for it to be fully usable. In that case, you need a pre-amp.

Handy hint: you can use the "effects-out" of any bass amp as a pre-amp for a power amp. You may need a separate gain and master volume if you are trying this with (heaven forfend) a combo amp as a pre-amp. That is its own kind of combo-hell, isn't it? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    perkjos likes this.
  4. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I use a VT Bass DI with a Crown PowerBase-1, and it works brilliantly!

perkjos likes this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you'd be fine running the Sadowsky preamp into a power amp. I'd first try the XLR out and if that didn't supply a high enough level, I'd try the "out" jack. The XLR should work fine. However, I like a little more EQ on my preamp. Right now I'm using an MXR M81 Bass Preamp. It has 3-band EQ with a semi-parametric mid. Another favorite of mine is the SansAmp ParaDriver DI, which also has three-band EQ and semi-para mid. It also has a "Drive" control and several switches for things like ground lift, line/instrument level, and phantom power. Crown and QSC make some very nice, reliable, light-weight power amps.

perkjos likes this.
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Let us know if the Sadowsky works pre and which output you use.