Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Feb 29, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Hi,
    I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks. I have a question that hopefully someone on this forum can answer.
    I have an SVT-350H and a SVT-610hlf cab. I'm looking to move up to a pre-amp power amp setup, most likely the SVP-PRO and the QSC RMX-1450. I want to bridge it into the 6x10 for now and add a 1x18 later. Is this too much power for the cab bridged? What is the best way to connect it (are there speakon cables made to do this)? When I add the 18 do I want run it stereo or continue to bridge it?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris Holtmeier

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    you'd be fine running it bridged into the 6x10. just use good judgement about your volume. i run an rmx 1450/svp pro into an svt 8x10 and it's fine. as for adding the 1x18, i'm pretty sure that the 6x10 is a 4 ohm cab, so you're probably going to want to run them parallel.

as for the connections...i use a speakon to 1/4 inch right now, but eventually i'll get a speakon to speakon. just make sure that you have the wiring right on the inside if you're running the amp in bridged mode.

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Thanks for the reply! I just found bridge mono speakon cables at Pro Cables and Sound.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    thetaurus is right... Your 610 is 4 ohms and that is as low an impedance as your amp will take bridged. In other words, if you want to add more cabs along with your current one, running it in modes other than bridged will be necessary. :cool:

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    The SVT-610HLF is 4 ohms. If you're considering the Ampeg SVT-18, it is also 4 ohms. So running the 2 cabs in parallel will give you 2 ohms - and the RMX 1450 doesn't support bridging at 2 ohms, it needs a minimum 4 ohm load.

You could run in stereo, and that gives you the advantage of seperate volume controls for each cab. But IMO the RMX 1450 will be underpowered running stereo into those cabs. Alternatively, you could run 2 seperate power amps, each bridged into 4 ohms. Or move up to a bigger amp for stereo operation.

Oops - Big Joe beat me to it while I was writing... but there it is anyway.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Call me the quick draw of the BG amps forum! :ninja:
    I would also agree that the 1450 split between two 4 ohm cabs in stereo would be too little power. :meh:

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't think adding an 18 will be as good as getting another ?x10 cabinet. Most 18" are terrible at anything but low frequencies when crossed over below 200Hz, usually more like 100Hz. (And those few that do have good mids and highs have terrible dispersion, so only someone who's right in front of it heats those frequencies - just like a 4x12 guitar cabinet.)

If your bass is also run through the PA, please go to http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118441 and scroll down to post 15.