1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amp Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silva_aquila, Jan 19, 2008.

1. silva_aquila

silva_aquila

Nov 22, 2007
    Hi All, I am new to talkbass, and bass in general, but I have been playing guitar for 5 years. I am in the process of looking for a bass rig for using mainly at church in a setup with a full band including a loud drummer. Running through the PA is not an option. Since I will only being playing bass once or twice a month, and playing guitar most of the time, I have a limited budget in the area of bass gear. I would like to boost this budget by getting gear that can be used for other things. I am also looking for a PA system so I thought perhaps I could buy one power amp and use it for the PA system, and when neccesary pair it with a cabinet to be used as my bass amp. Would this be a good setup? would I be sacrificing to much in tone and features by going that way? I figure that later down the road I could add a preamp, more cabinets, and a dedicated amp only for bass, but if I do not go this route I will end up with only around $250 for a bass amp. My budget for a power amp and cabinet would be in the range of $500.

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance for the replies.:)

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Buy a regular PA power-amp, a regular PA sub, a regular PA top, and run a Sansamp into it. It'll make for a very passable bass rig, and you'll have a head start on your PA system. There's nothing that bass cabs do that PA cabs can't do.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I agree with Nick. I use and have used for some time, PA power amps for my bass rig, currently a Yamaha P7000S.

Another option if you have a good loud guitar combo that does clean well, and has a pre out/power amp in. Plug bass into guitar combo, come out of pre out to external crossover, set at say 150Hz. Highpass returns to guitar amp and speakers, low pass goes to SS poweramp and dedicated sub.

4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1. Awesome idea, especially if you don't like the snappy, slappy tweeter tone.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For my backup rig, I accomplished much the same thing with a venerable Yamaha PB1, which is a great bass pre-amp that just happens to accommodate bi-amping (if that's your cup of tea), and a used QSC PLX3002 that's capable of powering virtually any combination of speaker cabinets I can envision.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I've got a couple of PB1's and they're great (and can be made better) but use one of my Behringer DCX2496's to do the xover work fro experimenting.

The reason I suggested the biamp guitar rig was, when done as I suggested, it gives about 90% of the (usually) tube amp tone, plus good LF as the poweramp and sub do all the heavy lifting work.

7. silva_aquila

silva_aquila

Nov 22, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies they were very helpful. My guitar amp unfortunately does not have a pre in power out, but I can connect a different speaker to it so I may just buy a sub and do that.

Any other ideas?

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If you're still running the guitar cab full range, my suggestion won't work.

9. silva_aquila

silva_aquila

Nov 22, 2007
    It would mean completely unplugging the guitar speaker, so all sound would be running into a bass cab or sub and tops, would that work?

10. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You now have my undivided attention :)

11. silva_aquila

silva_aquila

Nov 22, 2007
    Anyone Else?

12. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    First, there's nothing wrong with using a good PA cab as a bass cab. Second, there's nothing wrong with using a good PA power amp as a bass power amp.

No problem!

All you'd need is a nice preamp for driving the power amp when using it as a bass rig. Plenty of suggestions of preamps in this forum- if you have a specific tonal goal and a specific budget, we can narrow it down for you.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I mentioned recently in another thread that I'm going to electronically rest and mod my second unit and take pics and measurements.

I started a new job this week, as well as going back to school and am finding it hard to get to it, but it's next after some customer amps are cleared. If you can solder/desolder PCBs, it won't be hard.

PM me and hassle me.

14. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thank you, kind sir! Good on ya, mate ;)

15. wurmhole

wurmhole

Apr 10, 2004
    Aurora, Co
    I'll also be eagerly awaiting info on moding the PB-1.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021