Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp shoot out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, May 28, 2004.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo everybody.

Is there someone so kind to let me know which is "the best" between the following power amps,and why?

QSC
    Stewart
    Crest

Thank You very much ;)

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    "the best"? I think QSC and Crest have low priced stuff and high end equipment. Can't answer. I saw a lot of qsc plx fans here. I'm one of them too :)

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    CREST vote here!

I think the Crest just sound richer and smoother. Actually two of the High-end Cabinet designers mentioned around here many times both use the Crest Power amps for their Cab's!

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Krell. :)

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I would go with Stewart or the QSC PLX series because they sound great and are light weight. I own a couple of Stews.

6. Tone? Regardless of weight? Crest. (Of the three selections).
    Personally though...I'd (again weight NOT being an issue) go with a Crown Macro Tech (1st), Crown K2 (2nd).

7. Crown Macro Tech - If you don't mind the weight , absolutely the best IMHO. I'm a big believer in the saying "You gotta HAUL tone" .....

8. I would stand by a Crown Macrotech until the sun goes down, these things just dont give up. Heavy? yes, loud?, very! They have all sorts of protection circuits in them, ODEP, IOC etc. Sod everything else, a 1200 would be fine for bass IMO but a 3600VZ would rock!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I vote for QSC PLX. Plenty o'power, great fidelity, 21 pounds.

10. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Of the three,I vote Crest.I use a Glockenklang Bugatti and it sounds,to me,better than anything else on the market! My second choice would be a Lab Gruppen.They sound great,have tons of power and are very light.The only drawback of the Glock is that it is very heavy,but it sounds amazing!!!

John

11. I would say Crown gets top honours for reliability, I just recently sold a Powertech 2.1 and sold it because I hate fan noise, I know that may sound ridiculous to some ppl...but there you are.
    Now I have a Hafler P4000. Not exactly a touring unit, but it's got it's good points. ;)

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Whatever is cheapest. If you are young, the weight won't matter. Soundwise, I doubt you'd be able to tell...

13. You certainly can tell the difference, Ive had a PSL ve1200, a carver PT2400 and a crown macotech driving the top boxes in my venue, the crown nails them all, hands down.

14. When I 1st started buying power amps for PA I started with a Crown DC 300A. That was back in the 70's and I still have it and it still sounds as good as the day I bought it. Today I think the best sounding and most reliable amps made are Crown Macrotech. But, in my bass rig, I use a QSC PLX 1202. It's lite and has plenty of power. I don't need a Macrotech for bass.

15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    QSC PLX, incredibly reliable, powerful, and super lightweight. Perfect for bass rigs, and they have 30 and 50 hz cutoff switches, perfect for bass.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    There won't be any audible difference among them in sound quality, except for maybe how different models handle clipping, abnormal load impedances, and other anomalies.

There may be differences among the brands in reliability, service, support, etc., that could be worth researching