Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp speakers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spalka621, Oct 9, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    we have two speakers plugged into our power amp which runs speakers more our singer. and thats all the inputs it has. is there any way to plug more speakers into it the power amp. the speakers were using have input and output, does that help at all?

2. I don't quite understand, please explain more fully what you've got and what you're trying to do, and someone here will try to help.

3. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    From what I could gather from your question,

You'll need to find out the recommended load for the power amp (2ohms, 4ohms)

And then find out what ohms your speakers are.

Once you know that, you may have the option of daisy-chaining speakers, but DO NOT do so until you know what your amp can handle...or it'll probably won't end well....

4. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    yeah sorry for the ****ty wording ill check into that

5. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well i have 2 Nady Mc-8's and a Yamaha EMX62M Powered Mixer. I woulld figure out the stuff about the ohms but im really bad with that stuff.

6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Dude,

I checked out both manuals and I have bad news for you.

The Yamaha powered mixer goes down to 4 ohms. That means you can power two 8 ohm cabs or one 4 ohm cab safely.

Now the bad news. Maybe you should confirm this on your cabs labels.

The manual for your cabs say that they are 4 ohms. If you plug in more than one of them you run the risk of thermal shutdown or even frying your amp.

You better check.

:meh:

Joe.

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    K, I looked up your gear

You're powered mixer is 200 watts and can handle down to 4 ohms ( 2 8ohm speakers or 1 4ohm speaker)

When I looked up the speaker it shows that it can handle 150 watts and is 4 ohms. (this is for each individual speaker)

Now, my brain really down't want to beleive that that is a 4ohm speaker....that just doesn't doesn't make since to me for them to make such a small 4ohm speaker... it's possible that the manual was talking about them at a set :confused:

When you purchased them were they a set?

if not then you're running your powered mixer hot already.

In either case, you cannot add more speakers to your setup.

What you're going to have to do to get more volume is get a higher powered power amp and separate mixer or a higher powered powered mixer.

You'll also want to get larger speakers. I would not recommend wanting to run out of 8" speakers for a PA. maybe for a practice pa with just the singer going through it....no, I still wouldn't want to then..

Sorry if this sounds negative....but that setup isn't enough for band application in my opinion.

8. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    hey i dont care what you say it was my question, but anyway thanks alot for thew help. shouldent my mixers or speakers be broken by now, i just i just got lucky. woul dit make any sence to sell the nady's and buy speakers 8 ohms or do i just need to upgrade. if that doesnt make any sense to do any advice on what might be a good buy.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    It depends on how much money you have.

At the very least you should sell those speakers and buy 8 ohm speakers. Then you could use it as a practice PA or a gigging PA for very small gigs.

If you plan on gigging in anything bigger than a coffeehouse you should upgrade your whole system.

:D

Joe.

10. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    well were just stupid teen agers with no real money, ills ee what i can get for those speakers ans try to buy some other ones i guess. if you all think thats the best way to go.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    At the very least try to get new speakers. Make sure that they are 8 ohms each and try to get 15's.

Good luck.

Joe.

12. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Make sure you do your research on your equiptment before you sell or buy.

You may be able to find a better deal online than in store(at least that can give you the option to haggle).

Or you may be able to find a good deal on some used stuff here(it's not often, but PA gear does come up on our classifieds from time to time).

Just take your time and try not to rush into anything. It's always good to ask questions first. Somethings are too good to be true, it's only rare that you get lucky.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    True dat.

Where are you located spalka621? Your profile doesn't say. Are you close to any decent music stores or pawn shops?

Joe.

14. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Im really close to philadelphia im close to a guitar center a local music store a georges music and a sam ash sort of.

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool.

Hey, you will get the best bang for your buck if you buy used.

If you check out the sellers feedback e-bay is a good place to start. But pay careful attention to the shipping fees. They have gone up considerably across the board.

And like I said, check out pawn shops. If you can find a good deal most places have a 24-48 hr grace period to give you a chance to try it out to make sure it works.

Other places: Want ads, Craigslist.org (click here), word of mouth.

Good luck man!

Joe.

16. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    yeah i love that website you can find such good deals its awsome