Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shreave, Feb 27, 2001.

1. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I just played through an Aguilar 659 preamp and fell in love with it, which now poses a problem. When I purchase this thing, I will need a power amp to push it. It was going through a Stewat World 1.6 at the shop (Bass NW) and sounded great, but DAMN those things are pricey.
    I know you get what you pay for, for but are there other alternatives out there that I may be happy with?

I don't want to go out and get a Mackie and be unhappy with it but I also don't want to pay $1000 plus for a power amp. I've heard QSC isn't bad except for their 'switching' power supply, whatever that means. I just saw a post that said it can leave for a muddy high end.

Ideally, I'm looking for an amp that sounds as good as the Stewart but costs less. I would be able to sacrifice some power output and weight.

help, I'm drowning.

2. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    I have an SVT 300 power amp. I've seen those used for around 500-600 dollars. Not really cheap but they're all-tube 300 watt amps that run 2 or 4 ohms (not 8 unfortunately). Another down side is the weight. This thing could break your back.
    But the tone is glorious :) (I use it with an Ampeg SVP-Pro).
    How much are Aguilar power amps going for?

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    DB728 lists at $2,495 according to www.musicgearonline.com.

4. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    AAHHHHHh that's steep.
    Thanks Oysterman :)

5. You should take into effect what cabs you'll use and how much power you actually need. I live by the principle that you can never how too much power. Thus my 2-700 watts cabs and 2000 watt Crest CA9

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I've never heard of high-end sounding "muddy"(?) I just picked up a QSC PLX-2402 new for $749. I heard the price went down a couple of months ago. I'm running a DB 659 through it and the high end is very strong. I've had problems with the low end on my rig. But it's due to a bad pickup, not the amp. I've only had it about a week, but I think if you but QSC, you're getting a good, tight solid sounding amp. There are other folks on this forum that have more experience with them. Hopefully they'll chime in.

7. Crown K2 for just over $1000 if I recall correctly. I have one and it's superb.

8. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Crown Power Base 3 is alot of amp for the money.2x740w @ 4 ohms or 1500w bridged mono.I got mine for $675 new,$750 is a good average.

9. Some time back, BP mag did a shootout of power amps for bass, and the results were interesting. Not all power amps sound good for bass. Their testing showed that the SWR 800 was the best for tone, they stated that "it sounds like it was built specifically for bass", which of course, it is. They also stated it had a sweetness of midrange not found in other power amps.

10. I love those BP shootours. I still have that one. It's on playing the blues. Roscoe Beck and Tommy Shannon on the cover. I always put a lot of stock in what they say because everything they like I like-except for SeWeR.

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I second the powerbase3, I have one that runs my low end and a powerbase2 for my mids and highs. Good and tight all the way around.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have been using a Hafler Pro 5000 power amp with a Demeter preamp. Best sound I've ever had. BP magazine uses this setup as one of their reference rigs.

13. Hey mikemulcahy, whats the power rating on the powerbase 2? (8 and 4 ohms, stereo and bridged if possible)

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I suggest saving your money and going with the Stewart. I've run a World 1.2 for close to 4 Years and it's been super reliable. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Bones

15. I have a Mackie 1400i and I think it's just fine. Sure there are better amps you can get. But there's nothing wrong with the Mackie amps. Why do I always hear negative things about them?

What's your beef?

Brian