Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TGEvans, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Hi all.I need to know which power amp to purchase for my new aguilar db 680 pre amp.I have been thinking about the qsc powerlight 3002 but do not know enough about them.Could anyone give me their thoughts and opinions.I would also like to know if it safe to run a power amp at nowhere near the full volume.For example my rig consists of an swr 1x15 and an swr 1x18, together, they are rated at 750 watts.The reason I want such a powerfull amp is so that I will have plenty of clean headroom.Is this safe?

2. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Running a power amp way under it's rated output won't hurt it. The only potential danger is to the speakers if you crank it too loud. I'm currently using a QSC PLX 3402 to drive a pair of JBL D140s. That's 700 Watts (per channel @ 8ohms) into speakers rated for a lot less than that... I keep expecting to see smoke coming out of the speaker boxes, but so far so good. I do try to keep my sound clean, I have the QSC LPF set at 50 Hz and only turn the volume pots on the QSC about half-way up.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Sure, you can do that. I use a PLX 1602 in bridged mono driving a large EV B-1150M cabinet. Other than when the amp is first turned on, I've only seen the clip LEDs come on maybe about three times. Therefore, I have lots of headroom and seldom push the rig to full volume.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have to say that it's nice to get good info straight from the source - I know a bunch of us are glad you're here, Bob...

- georgestrings

PS - That also goes for all the other fine Reps we have here...