Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp through my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Sep 2, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    hi all,

excuse my ignorance but can i effectively run a power amp through my Hartke HA3500? i have an avatar 4x10(1200 watts)and 1x15(400 watts)cabs. i was looking into a carvin DCM1000. and if so how would i rig this?

2. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    What are the ohm ratings, what outputs does your hartke have?

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    No senor... your setup should look more like this:

Bass---Preamp(Hartke Head)----Power Amp---Cabs

Your head should have a poweramp out that will allow you to connect the Pre to your new Carvin power amp. After everything is connected except the cabs, you have the option of either running the amp stereo (one power amp supplying one cab x2) or bridged(with the output of each individual power amp in the Carvin combined and daisy-chained through your cabs). Depending on the ohm ratings of your cabs, either could be a viable solution.

4. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    I think it might be better to connect the 400w cab to the hartke and the 1200w cab to the bridged power amp. (dependig on the ohm's ratings it might be better to daisychain them)

But some ha3500's can be limited on outputs, might get complicated.

5. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    I was thinking about getting the same exact setup. ARe you having problems with it? Is the head not enough to power both cabs?

What do you think about the hartke 4000.

6. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    thanks i think i understand it there is a direct out on the back of the head but it is a three pronged high powered one. i think its called speakon? ne ways no the head didnt have enough power to power both cabs for me. and thats why im looking into the power amp. but for now my funds have run out. BACK TO SCHOOL!!! so im still only using the 2x10 and the hartke head. but by the end of the month i should be set with the 1x15 and the power amp. thanx

and ive never used the HA4000 but im sure its the same as the 3500 but just with 400watts. id recomend the 5000,if you dont want to spring for a poweramp.

pgk

7. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    the direct out is a xlr-connection and is low level (it's like a DI-box). Speakon is indeed high power but is not found on your hartke.

You haven't told us the cab's ohm rating. If it's 8 Ohm you don't need another power amp, just put it parallel with the other cab and get more power.

8. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    if it is an xlr like u say then how would i run the poer amp through it?

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    No, you run the XLR out into the power amp, but check and see what kind of connections the power amp has. Remember, it goes bass---preamp----poweramp---cabs.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What they said. Be careful that you understand what is being said. You do not run your power amp through your head, but rather you run the head through your power amp. Big difference there.

Run an XLR connector from the DI out or preamp out on your head, to the XLR input on your power amp.

Best of luck.