Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp through preamp watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timorr74, Jan 8, 2001.

1. timorr74

timorr74

Jan 8, 2001
    I recently bought a PV1200. Im sending it through a Digitech BP8 to my Ampeg 8x10. The guy at the music shop said the preamp might not send all of the power through because its also an effects pedal. If anyone knows if the cab is getting all of the power or how to get all the power to the cab i would appreciate the help.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're sending a power amp through a preamp?!?!? you're going to fry your preamp if you are doing that.

you should be sending your instrument into the bp8 and then into the pv1200, and then into the cab. is that what you are doing?

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Guess that's why they call it a PREamp. :D

4. timorr74

timorr74

Jan 8, 2001
    yeah my guitar is hooked to the preamp which is hooked to the power amp which goes to the cab

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Power amps are rated at producing certain wattage based on
    the input voltage. If the pedal can't generate a voltage high enough, the power amp will not be able to generate full rated power.

Check the specs on the pedal and the power amp and you should be able to see if this is the case.

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Brian, aren't you forgetting about the preamp? If the pedal output is low can't he just crank the gain on the preamp?

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I guess the point is, that he just got an effects pedal and a power amp but no pre-amp inbetween.
    Typically the output of an effects pedal has about the same level as an active bass, wich is a bit less than 'line level' or 'preamp out' level as far as I know.

But as brian said, one has to check the specs..

Matthias

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    :eek: Ahh, the pedal is also the preamp. I'd still think there would be a gain control on it.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Ah, I see (visited digitech homepage meanwhile and realized that the BP-8 is actually a preamp w/multi-effects unit and not just an effects pedal)

Proper setting of 'input level' and 'output level' of the BP-8 is explained in the 'quick start' section of the manual (page III).
    I'm sure the BP-8 puts out enough juice for the Peavey (and any other power amp) to get maximum power.

Matthias