power amp to go between my demeter VTBP-201s & EA CXL 112 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Mar 14, 2006.

1. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Hey now!!!

i'm looking to switch up my rig a bit. i've grown accostomed to the tone of my demeter VTBP-201s preamp that lives in my studio and would like to use this preamp when playing live, so i'm selling off/trading my SWR SM400s head. previously i was running the SWR in bridge mode to the cabinet and it sounded great, but i've outgrown that sound.

does anyone have any suggestions for poweramps to check out? if you use a demeter VTBP-201s, what do you use to boost your signal? what kind of cabinet are you running?

i'll be running the demeter VTBP-201s into the poweramp and then running the poweramp into my Euphonic Audio CXL 112 cabinet. what do you think i should check out?

any and all suggestions are more than appreciated.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I use the AI Focus power amp with my Cxl-112, and it sounds great with both tube and solid state preamps.
  3. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    With an AI Focus SA, you could have the lightest rack setup ever... actually, a rack would probably be heavier than the pre- and poweramp together...
  4. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    that sounds like a dream!!! strapping the SWR-SM400s to my back and running around NYC is starting to create long term problems for me! any other suggestions to look into?
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I know that Bose is selling a small, lightweight power amp module these days as well. Then there are things like the smaller Stewart amps, which are fairly light.

BTW, I use the version of the Focus with a built-in preamp, since I gig mostly on EUB. I only use my external preamps for BG. You might like the Focus preamp enough to just use that at least some of the time though. It doesn't add a ton of weight or cost compared to the SA, so you might want to at least give that a try if carrying gear in the City is a concern.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    musiciansfriend is having a blow out sale on their 21 lbs. QSC PLX series amps. hopefully you can get one 'fore they run out.

if you really wanna keep the weight down, invest in a Stewart World. i have the 1.2, and they've lasted me plenty thru most 45 min. gigs w/o overheating.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I have played that preamp through an Aggie DB 728 power amp and it sounded great, so if you don't mind spending money or lugging around heavy gear I would probabally recommend the Demeter tube power amp or an Aggie 728 if you can find one. I played through a Bergantino 610 and later a HT 210. They both sounded great, with the 610 capturing a great vintage ton and the 210 a bit more modern and scooped.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Demeter's bag is clear and clean but without much in the way of tone shaping. I would second PW's though of trying the Focus with Pre. Life is all about options, eh ? You might find tht the Focus is clear enough and flat enough to work on it's own. I've heard PW's several times and it's an impressive sounding piece of gear. Not to mention it's a fly weight. If I were doing the subway thing, that''s the amp I'd pick.
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You should be able to patch the demeter in to use the SM-400's power section using the effects loop.