Power Amp to go with an Avatar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dmaki, Dec 11, 2003.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm working on figuring out what to put into my next rig but don't know what power amp to get. I'm going to get an Ampeg SVP Pro preamp and an Avatar cab (most likely the 2x12", maybe a 2x10" and 1x15" if I can afford it).

I've been looking at QSC power amps (the RMX series), but they only have Speakon and binding post outputs while Avatars only have a 1/4" input. Is there an adapter that would let me power the Avatar with a power amp that doesn't have a 1/4" output, or would I have to/could I modify the Avatar(s) to have a Speakon input?

Another possibility would be getting a different power amp that has 1/4" outs. Does anyone know any good quality not-too-expensive power amps that have 1/4" outs?
  2. You and I are in the same predicament. I have an Ampeg BSP pre and an Ampeg 300 Watt power amp...I'm looking too for a new poweramp for my Avatar 115.

As for the speakon and 1/4" deal, you could probably track down some Speakon to 1/4" cables, or maybe buy adapters for 1/4" --> 1/4" cables...
  3. Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I have the Carvin DCM1000. It has all 3 types of outputs. Plus, it's considerably lighter than the RMX series.

If I could afford it, I would have definitly gone for the PLX series from QSC.
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I drive a couple of Yorkville PA monitors (1/4" input only) from a QSC.

What I did was go to Radio Shack and pick up a couple of dual banana plug ends, cut one of the 1/4" connectors off of my speaker cables and put the dual banana plug ends on. They plug directly into the holes in the binding post connectors. If I didn't want to cut my 1/4" speaker cables (I didn't care as I bought them specifically for the monitors) I could have used a piece of wire, a 1/4" female connector and the dual banana end to make an adapter (with a soldering iron).
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just get speakon to 1/4 cables...they're not hard to find.

Know that you need particular a particular type of speakon for running in bridged mode-4 pin. Make sure it is a Neutrik Speakon NL4FC or NL4FX?
  6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    You can buy Speakon to 1/4" adaptors at www.partsexpress.com for about $5 a piece.

I have an SVP-Pro and a QSC PLX 3402 amp that I use with an Avatar 4x10" cab. It's really punchy and powerful! That cab does get a little thin on the really low frequencies (you don't get them on a 4 stringer) but thankfully I have an Ampeg 2x15" cab :)
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If you want to run in bridged mode and can't find the 4-pin Neutrik-harder to come by than the 2 pin IME-you can do what I did and buy the speakon and a 1\4 cable. Cut one of the ends off and it will take you a couple of minutes to put on the new speakon with proper instructions.
  8. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You can buy cables that have a 1/4 plug on one end and either a speakon connector or banana plugs on the other.
  9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I've always made my own speaker cables. I started as a teen in the '70s because I had little money, now I do it because I'm just a tight wad:D I converted my previous Avatars to Speakon so I could go Speakon-Speakon. Recently, for my newest Avatars, I found some 1/4 in. plugs at Sam Ash that will handle the 12-2 cable that I use.
  10. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I'd look into Carvin. Their poweramps seem most cost efficient and people here apparently think fairly well of them. I plan on buying a DCM 2000 this weekend actually, and getting at least 1 Avatar cab within the month. That's all
  11. Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    I understand that '04 Avatars are coming with Speakon connections. Dave said there will be no price increase due to the Speakons.:bassist:
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If carvin's power amps are anything like their bass amps, they'll clip halfway on the master. Besides, only girly men complain of the weight when it comes to good bass tone (just look at SVT players). :D :bassist: :rolleyes:
  13. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    how do i know if my speakons are 2 or 4 pin? I need 4 pin to bridge, correct?

and if i decided to run in stereo again could i still use the 4 pin cables or would i have to convert again
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    amos, the bridgeable amp will have a four pin speakon for bridging. The cabinet doesn't need to change. You would need a special cable that is connected to the 1+ and 2+ on the amp end for bridging and standard (?) 1+ 1- on the cabinet end.
  15. amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    ya I know I was only talking about cables
    however it seems many people are using speakon cables and running bridged without having to modify their existing cables.

next week i'll be able to look at my cables
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    This will work, but won't give you more power than non-bridge mode.

To get the full bridged power you need to connect as the user guide indicates.
  17. From how I read your post, you haven't gotten the Avatar cab(s) yet. Well considering that the new Avatar cabs will have speakons (at no extra charge) then I say wait a little bit.