Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp to go with Demeter preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bikeplate, Sep 25, 2002.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I'm in the process of picking up a Demeter preamp. Any advice on what power amp to buy to match it? QSC? Mackie? Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I'm presently using an Eden WT-800

Rob

2. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Hey Rob,

I too am in the process of picking up a Demeter pre (well, as soon as I sell my SM-500:) ). My guitar player has a Crown CE 1000 that's sitting in his basement collecting dust, so I'm going to be using that with the Demeter. I have also used this amp with the preamp section of my SM-500 (using the effects send) & I was pretty impressed with the power & sound I was getting. I would definitely recommend the Crown CE 1000... it's inexpensive (you can find them on Ebay for $300-$400 depending on how new they are), it's got a lot of power, & it's not terribly heavy @ 32 pounds. Check it out:

Delivers 560 Watts per Channel in 2 ohm, 450 Watts per in 4 ohm, 275 watts in 8 ohm. When used in brdge mono mode it can deliver up to 1100 Watts in 4 ohm and 900 watts in 8 ohm

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/ce.htm

People also seem to like the QSC PLX series amps & Stewart World series amps b/c of their light weight & power output. Had I not acquired the Crown CE 1000 for free, I would have purchased one of these two manufacturers' amps. Hope this helps!

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm running my HBP-1 through an Eden WT-1000, and I LOVE it. Nice fat warm tone, lots of definition. The Eden amp has nice tone controls built into the power amp. Simple one knob deal: straight up is flat, turn it to the right it get brighter, to the left it get bassier. Makes quick fixes in bad rooms a snap.

4. sizz

sizz

Sep 23, 2002
    Bella Vista, AR
    Gard,

I just noticed that you had an excerpt from "The Weapon" in your signature... great tune!! Rush was friggin' awesome on the Vapor Trails tour... I saw them last month here in Cinci. Good stuff...:)

5. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Thanx guys! Anyone else? Gard, I'll call you tomorrow

Rob

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey Rob!

I pulled a Homer (DOH!!!), I was supposed to call you today (don't tell the boss, he's flay me alive! :eek: )!!! Got bured in the middle of the day, and by the time it quieted down, my brain was mush...

Gimme a call whenever you get a chance, I'll be in from 10-4 eastern (that's 7-1 for you, right?)tomorrow, lessons start then.

7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Will do. Need some advice.

Rob

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I use a Hafler Pro 5000 with my Demeter, but I believe that model has been discontinued.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Check out carvin power amps too. There inexpensive, light weight, and sound great. I fit my aggie db659 and carvin dcm600 into an 11" deep rack bag which makes it very portable. The pre, poweramp and bag together wiegh under 30 lbs and its loud as hell.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use a QSC2402 with my Demeter 201......great combo, and under thirty pounds!

11. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    Crown, Crest or QSC are the big 3. I am running a Crest LT series. Runs quiet, virtually no heat and no problems. What kind of cabs? ohms?

12. I'm currently running a Stewart World 2.1 behind my Demeter. the pair are just completely transparent and exacly what the doctor ordered for my weird mutant bass!

from the low end,

Stew

13. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Heck,, just swing for a Carvin. 1000 watts for 370 bucks,, only like 20 lbs. Reliable and 3 year warranty to boot.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I usually use a Epifani 2x12 or an Eden cab. 8 ohms

Rob

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

it shouldnt matter what power amp you use. any power amp worth its salt doesnt & shouldnt contribute sonically at all to the tone, so it dont matter what you get as long as its known for reliability.

just get the lightest with as much power as you can possibly afford.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Me too. Good combination.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another prop for Stewart 2.1.

18. if im using a 4 ohm cab and a 8 ohm cab is a power amp the only way to run them?

19. Joker,
    There is a post on the first page about a Aguilar 728 tube power amp, and those folks claim that the "tube power amp" produces a warmer at least different tone or sound than "any SS amp."
    I don't know about that because I have not compared. I'm thinking of going to a QSC 2402 and a nice preamp (Demeter/Ag etc.) have not decided yet. I've always been a tube fan and I'm concerned that your statement about power amps not really mattering on tone. Your like me and have spent MILLIONs on different equipment so I know you know plenty. I just don't want to spend good money on a disappointing stituation.

20. LJW

LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

Good advice.