Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp to pair with SVP-Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a power amp to hook up with my new (to me) SVP-Pro. I already know that most of you will tell me to go with QSC but I'd like to see if I could get a few more varied suggestions as I'm on an extremely tight budget (and I'm in the UK and have heard horror stories about QSC's UK distributors customer support).

What I've come up with so far are:

Peavey PV-900 or PV-1500 (It's a Peavey so it'll probably last forever, but it says Peavey on it - so call me a snob!)
    Yamaha P3500S (Know nothing about these but specs look good!)
    Behringer EP1500 or EP2500 (40% failure rate from what I've heard)

As a bit of background I'm playing a Wal 4 string and Skyline JO 4 string -> Ampeg SVP-Pro -> Bridged Power Amp -> 2 1x15 Homebrew cabs (4 ohm load total).
    LOUD rock/metal band.

Cheers

Ian

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I would suggest a QSC PLX however if you are on a tight budget how about a Carvin?

3. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Carvin power amps, although technically available in the UK, are a special order from Carvin USA, which means if there was ever to be something go wrong there wouldn't be one in the country to replace it... but you're thinking along the right lines!

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    go with a QSC RMX if you can. They are about half the price of the PLX series.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm in a very similar situation:I have an Ampeg SVP-BSP that needs a power amp.

QSC is good and can handle 4 Ohms bridged, some even 2 Ohs in stereo; however, the RMX series are heavy, and only the more expensive 1850HD would be good for you - the others are probably a bit weak...
    The PLX series is powerful and lighter, but harder to get and more expensive

Peavey cant get 4 Ohms bridged

I was considering the P3500 myself, and I now found a used P-4500 for half-price; looks like I will buy it... I have heard they make decent stuff; however, these too can only handle 8 Ohms in bridge mode, 4 in stereo

Behringer? I would rather stay away from taht as a power amp...

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I may be wrong on this, but I think I can remember reading on another thread that the PLX doesn't work all that well with a tube pre amp. Maybe someone else may know where that thread is.
    Rezdog

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mine works fine.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Completely untrue... :eyebrow:

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It works fine. The SVP-Pro has a pretty low output volume which means it has to have the master gain up pretty high to get decent volume out of a power amp (especially a PLX as they require a bit more volume from a pre).

It still works fine and most power amps will give you the same tone from your SVP.

My dad currently is using my SVP-Pro with a Stewart World 1.2 and it sounds great.

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Uh hmmm.....As I said 'I may be wrong'. So I guess I is. ;) My bad.
    Rezdog

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Okay I have a handle on this. I use the PLX and it is wonderful. But I understand that the distributers there in the UK kinda have you by the short hairs. I have a PV2600 that I use in my PA for subs. The PV series is comparable to the QSC RMX series. Stateside, Peavey has dropped their MAP pricing, so the PV amps appear to be the bargain when compared to the RMX series. Not necessarily so. The RMX amps have rear panel switching to address many scenarios. Likewise, so does the PV series...just in a different layout. The PV series has a 150hz crossover on each channel...if that is a benefit for you. I also have a pair of Yamaha's CP2000 series, which appears to be a "proof of concept" for the PII models. The Yamahas are also excellent amps. In my use, just like the PV, they have been invisible...done their job exceedingly well and have caused not a moment's worry. I would not buy the Behringer amps. I have some Behringer gear (parametric eq and compressor) that I consider 'disposable'. I can never consider a power amp to be disposable.
    That said, I would advise you to choose either the PV or the Yamaha...depending on which you can strike your best deal on. Either will perform admirably and as well as the QSC RMX series.

Kim

12. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm a bit confused by the specs for the Yamaha... I haven't found anywhere where it says it can't be bridged into a 4 ohm load. A spec sheet I've seen says it'll do 2000 watts bridges at 4 ohms, but if it'll do that then why not advertise it! Any thoughts?

13. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi again Mika,

That'd be a neat solution, but it's pretty expensive. The only price I can find for the Digimod 500 is £289 and you still have to add a power supply. Multiply by 2 and you're well outside budget.

Having a separate PA style power amp would make the rig so much more flexible/expandable etc.

So far the Yamaha is winning hands down for me (I could probably get away with the P2500S as it'll do 1300 watts into 4 ohms bridged and keeps me under the £300 mark)...

Any more opinions?

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As I said, it wont do 4 Ohms bridged. or only for a very-very short time, then it will overheat.

15. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    According to Yamaha's own website it can be used bridged at 4 ohms... sounds good enough to me. Are you sure you weren't thining of the older series of amps?

Edit...

Actually you may be right - the website says they are capable of 4 ohms bridged but I downloaded the manual for the amp and it says not to attach speakers with a combined load lower than the ones shown in the connection diagrams which show an 8 ohm load in bridged mode... Don't you just love companies that are consistent like that!!!

16. I've been using my Ampeg SVP-Pro into a Behringer EP-2500 power amp for nearly a year now with no problems. Sounds great and has heaps of headroom. I'm aware that a lot of people don't like the Behringer's as they come from China ( like the lower priced QSC RMX series unless I'm mistaken ) and are cheap. For me however, it was all my budget could afford at the time, and I bought it intending to replace it later on with a better "brand" name amp. So far though, it's performing admirably - so I think I may leave it in my rack and keep a back-up amp in my van untill such a time as it decides to give up the ghost. ;)

17. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Behringer were the first on my list until I spoke to a trusted local retailer who was told (by his supplier) that Behringer's power amps have a 40% failure rate. If I thought I'd get one from the 60% that are OK I'd buy one right now...

18. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones. They hav'nt been on the market all that long so maybe it's a new product's "teething problems". Either that or it's inferior componentry. It'd also be interesting to know if it was just one weak point that was causing the failures, or many and varied problems. I believe the amp is based on a good design. :meh:

19. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I've been using my SVP-Pro teamed up with a Behringer EP1500 for about 9 months now. Sounds great and lots of headroom with 1400 watts at 4ohm. The only issue I have with the EP is weight. It is heavy. A rolling 4 space Gator rack helps a lot. You will really like the Ampeg.

20. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to band practise tonight! It'll be my first chance to try the Ampeg out properly. I'll be playing it through the effects return of my Ashdown until I can get a power amp. I have tried it through a powered 1x10 monitor and so far I'm very happy!!!

I'll maybe see if there is anywhere local that keeps the Behringer amps in stock. That way if I was to buy one and it screws up I'll be able to hassle the seller for a new one from stock...