Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp Troubles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drake, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Okay, to the point.

QSC rmx 1850hd. Arrived today. I have it all wired up. I set the switches on the back..

One channel has the clip light on pretty much the whole time and only puts out quiet distorted tone. Clearly some small amount of signal is getting through though. The other channel works fine.

I have it in parallel input mode with the input from my bbe 383 going into the channel 1 input (channel one is the channel not working). I have tried the other input and stereo mode etc. Same deal.

What could be wrong with the channel?
    Anyone have anything to add?

If anyone is curious I am using a 4ohm Eden 210xst on each side.

Any help will be appreciated. i have a gig on saturday and could use both into one channel and it would be sufficient, but I start tour next week and want to have the amp working properly first.

Thanks.

Michael.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You should pm Bob Lee (QSC)....

Are you sure that your speaker cables are good? Did you swap Channel 1 and Channel 2 to make sure?

It's safe to run the amp without speakers attached. Try unplugging the speaker cables all together (and everything else for that matter), switch the amp on and see what happens.

3. Okay. I have checked every possible combination and had the meter on this thing.. It seems like it is possible that a brand new speakon adapter I bought today at Long and McQuade may be the issue. Thanks for the help I will keep trying to work this out.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    OK...please let me know what you find out.

Good luck!!!

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Okay, you said you set the switches on the back. How did you set them?