Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp under $500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by viper jazz, Feb 5, 2004.

1. viper jazz

viper jazz Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Hola, all. I'm trying to upgrade my ****ty amp setup, and I need a bit o' help. I've got a Sansamp that I'm planning on using as a preamp, so naturally, I'm going to need a power amp to run it. I'm not positive on how many cabs I'll be running, but I imagine I'll eventually do two 4x10's.

The problem is that I don't have a lot of cash, so I'm looking for a decent power amp that's hopefully well under $500 (I'm thinking around $3-400, although I could probably squeeze out a bit more.) I was looking at a Crown, and a guy that I play with can get QSC's (I think that's the name...) at cost from his work, but I dont' really know anything about them. How about Peavey power amps? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would try the QSC RMX series or the Carvin DCM series. Or the new Carvin CP series if you figure you can do without an opto limiter (that, aside from cosmetics, is supposed to be the only difference from the DCM).

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Look for a Mackie 1400i. I got mine brand new for less that $400. Best bang for the buck I could find. :bassist:

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have a Stewart World 1.2 for auction on ebay. Its at $407 now. Check it out here.

5. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    And I have a QSC 1700 for sale in the TalkBass classifieds. Best quality/power for the money you will find at $250.

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    You could get an old Peavy CS 800 for about $250 at most used music stores

7. This is the one I would go with for the $.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've always had good luck with Carvin. Good, clean sound, reliable and inexpensive. I have a FET1000 that is 10 years old and still as good as new. I also have a DCM, and it is good, too.

9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

My only comment would be to think about whether you care about the weight of the thing. I've had a couple of different ones and found, that for me, weight is a very important factor. Once you start lugging it around in a rack with other components it can be a real pain (but then again you are going for 4x10s so maybe you don't care about lugging massive things - I've gone with 1x12s 'cause I want each piece light enough to carry easily in 1 hand).

You can get cheapy heavy power amps (Nady, Behringer), inexpensive heavy power amps (QSC RMX), ok costing moderate weight power amps (Carvin DCM), more expensive lightweight (QSC PLX, Stewart World, Peavy one-space).

I've had a QSC RMX and it was a super amp - I just got tired of the weight. These days I'm using Carvin DCMs - the best balance of lower cost and lighter weight for me. If I had infinite cash I'd have something like the Peavy single space or Stewart World amps.

The real cheapies (Nady, Behringer) are the best watts/dollar but you have to decide if the savings are worth the possible risk of problems (sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you don't).

My apologies for amp brands I've not mentioned (Crown XS? Crown CE? etc) - it's just because I'm not familiar with them and don't know exactly where they'd sit.

PS make sure the amp will run how you want. Some mfrs don't spec/warrant running at 4 Ohms in bridged mode - then you are hosed if you wanted to run two 8 Ohm cabs while in bridged mode

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Speaking of weight my Stewart weighs 11 lbs. and puts out 1200 watts.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have the most experience with the XLS series from Crown. You can pick up a brand new XLS402 for under $300. All Crown power amps have a three year, transferable, no-fault warranty. I used one myself, and I loved it.

-Mike

12. and that's a little high, too. i saw stewarts going for under $400 a couple weeks ago on ebay. lucky you!

robb.