1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, May 1, 2005.

1. I really have no clue what a power amp is and how it is used. If someone could explain this it would be a big help.

2. i understand what i power amp is now, but how do i connect it to an already exsisting head? i would use the head as my preamp then go to the power amp then to the cab, but i have no idea how to get the head to the power amp.

3. should be a preamp out, if there isnt a preamp out then i dont know what to do, i dont think you can have it running from the power section of your head into another power amp, i think that might be bad :s

4. You could also use the effects send or the DI out.

5. ok thanks

6. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    A preamp takes the very small signal from your bass and boosts it to the point that it is useable. A power amp takes the signal from your preamp and boosts it a whole lot to drive the speakers. A head has both a preamp and a poweramp combined in one unit. If you have a head, you don't need a power amp unless you for some reason have a more powerful power amp, in which case you need to use the preamp output of your head. Normally you only use a power amp if you are going to buy a seperate preamp.