Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, May 1, 2005.

1. I really have no clue what a power amp is and how it is used. If someone could explain this it would be a big help.

2. i understand what i power amp is now, but how do i connect it to an already exsisting head? i would use the head as my preamp then go to the power amp then to the cab, but i have no idea how to get the head to the power amp.

3. should be a preamp out, if there isnt a preamp out then i dont know what to do, i dont think you can have it running from the power section of your head into another power amp, i think that might be bad :s

4. You could also use the effects send or the DI out.

5. ok thanks

6. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    A preamp takes the very small signal from your bass and boosts it to the point that it is useable. A power amp takes the signal from your preamp and boosts it a whole lot to drive the speakers. A head has both a preamp and a poweramp combined in one unit. If you have a head, you don't need a power amp unless you for some reason have a more powerful power amp, in which case you need to use the preamp output of your head. Normally you only use a power amp if you are going to buy a seperate preamp.