Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalka621, Jul 28, 2005.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Just to get this straight im not asking to buy or sell an amp. I wanted to buy one but do not know what to look at. I dont want a crappy amp but dont want to spend all my money either.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You can start here: Amp FAQ. When you find some brands that are to your liking, do a search for them here in the Amps forum.

To get some detailed help, we'll need to know what kind of music you will be playing, how much money you want to spend, what kind of gear do the other people in your band use, where do you play most of your gigs, stuff like that.

-Mike

3. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the link. I also have another wuestion but i fell stupid asking but is a power amp a power amp or are they made for different ranges.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    For the most part, a power amp is a power amp. It's designed to reproduce the signal fed into it. You'll find that as a bass player, when you go to look at power amps they're the same ones as used for PA gear, etc.

You may want to be more discerning about a preamp though.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if I understand your question, are you asking if you can use ANY "power amp" for bass, in general, yes. you can use stereo or mono, preferred a "bridgable" amp (one you can conbine both channels into one for more power if you want. most conveiniently you want 1/4" plugs input and output, but RCA (home stereo amps) inputs or 5-way binding posts (banana plug) output will work fine if you have the right plugs/cables. some amps have "gain" controls (volume for each channel) this is nice when running in stereo with two different size/ohm/sensitivity cabs so one doesn't sound louder than the other if you don't want it to.

some industrial amps are 70volt, I don't know what that means to us little guys, but I think thats for OTHER situation rather than musician situations.

6. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah thats was what I was wondering thanks for the help.