Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadB, Oct 11, 2005.

Which amp for my rig?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2005.
  1. QSC PLX1602

5 vote(s)
  2. QSC RMX1450

1 vote(s)
  3. Crest Audio CA6

8 vote(s)
  4. Stewart World 2.1

3 vote(s)
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
  1. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I need another power amp. Currently have been using my P.A. amp, a QSC PLX1602. Not at all unhappy with it, it just needs to go back to the P.A. system. I need your opinion on which one for my bass rig. Currently using a Schroeder 21012 and SansAmp RBI. More preamps to come. See poll.
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm running an eden navigator/qsc-plx 1602 combo that I like lots. I've not tired the others...If you like the qsc, it's a real cost effective choice.
  3. I like crown also. Using the K1, fantastic amp, sounds great, rock solid for years now playing into 4 ohms bridged load (2 ohms per channel), meaning I've been running it hard most of that time. Pretty lightweight also. No cooling fan! (Digital output stage)

4. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    A lot of people will hate me for this... but, reasonable quality power amps all sound almost exactly the alike, choose by features, weight and price.
  5. True, there is little sonic difference, in well designed power amps. The ideal design goal is a straight wire with gain.

Of course, there is quite a "controversy" about the sonic characteristics of straight wires without gain, i.e. instrument cables.... :D

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i voted for the 2.1 only cause that's what i have.

opinions on power amps range from "they all sound the same if they're good" to "there are definite sonic differences and X sounds the best"

To me, an equally important thing to consider besides tone is the apparent volume of the amplifier. Different companies use different methods to rate their power amps, so not all 400 watt amps will have the same volume.

I'd also suggest getting the most powerful amp you can afford. The monatary difference between a stewart 1.6 and 2.1 isn't all that great, so i sprung for the 2.1. The same small price jumps in QSC's lines is also apparent. I admit, I'm intrigued by the Crest devotees, so a CA-9 is definitely on my "i gotta check this out someday" list. However, I've been happy with the performance, transparent tone, and light weight of my stewart so i'm not chomping at the bit. I also wouldn't hesitate to use a PLX amp either.
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'm rather fond of my Crown Macrotech 2402.
  8. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    The reason I am polling this question is because I have heard some controversy regarding the newer lightweight switching power amps. I don't remember exactly what was said, but I think it had something to do with their responsiveness when used for bass. If they all sound and respond the same, I would gravitate towards one of the lighter ones.
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    There are those who will say a switching power amp does not have the bass response of regularly power supplied power amps. PLenty of reading to do here, search a little.
    I don't know if anyone could really hear the diff when blindfolded listening to different amps thru same speakers at the same DB, but some claim they can.
    If switching power supply amps like qsc/plx lack bass frequency, I'd be stunned to hear the difference in a nightclub setting playing huge dub bass blwoing me off the stage already..both the biggest clubs here use qsc/plx series power amps. I notice no lack of low end in my rig.
    YMMV, and folks are welcome to disagree as always;)
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You lucky......! :cool:

A Crown Macro Tech is on my wish list. -One day, one day.

I'm quite happy with my Crest CA-Series amp. I'd say go with the CA-6

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

12. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Well..... I noticed a rather drastic difference between my Iamp 800 and the preamp for the Iamp into my Macrotech.