Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Oct 25, 2005.

1. im lookin into getting a pre/power amp set up. as of now im running a peavey nitrobass to a carvin 2 10 and an avatar 1 12, so its at a 2 ohm load. for a preamp i want to get the sansamp RBI, and for a power amp the peavey PV900 or carvin HD 900, out of those 2 power amps which do u think would be a better choice, both are pretty much the same(price/wattage) just wonderin if people have used them and what they thought. thanks in advance.

andy

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Everything else being relatively equal ( :rolleyes: ), get the Peavey.

Rock solid reputaion.

Out of those two, definitely the Peavey.

BUT...and I said BUT...

I would get this instead. No Contest.

Click Here!

Check the specs. Awesome quality. Stellar reputation. Definitely get this one over the other two.

:D

Joe.

3. that looks really nice. since its 300 watts at 4 ohms on both sides, that means if i use one 4 ohm cab per side it will be as loud as a 600 watt amp, right? and from there i an add other 4 ohm cabs to get down to a 2 ohm load making it 450 on both sides, yes?

4. and i guess another question would be, could it really run down to 2 ohms and not fry? i read some reviews on other power amps and people said it couldnt really go down to 2 ohms and it blew. thanks

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    430 watts.

Yes, for a total of 860 watts.

Click here and scroll down.

Edit: Er, make that 830 watts.

6. alright thanks alot, glad you showed me that. looks like a much better choice then peavey or carvin :). and since you have the RBI, do you like it? can you get really grindy sounds out of it, or more smooth tones? thanks

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, QSC has a stellar reputation so if they say one of their producst does something, I would belive it.

A good person to ask would be Bob Lee. He is a QSC Audio Applications Engineer here on TalkBass.

Here's his profile. You might want to pm him.

Click here.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well...yeah.

It does both.

As long as we are thinking the same as far as grindy and smooth go.

What exactly do you mean by grindy?

9. more high end but without sounding to sharp, kinda like over drive but more just like high mids and highs, and really punchy, smooth being less punchy rolled back highs, that kinda stuff. some amps i have played with cant do both very well, eaither the highs get to sharp and when you try making the smooth sound it just sounds not clean enough. i guess it dosnt really matter, but having the bite is kinda my sound, so using a pre that couldnt do that wouldnt work out so well. the picture i saw of this had an activate button, and i couldnt find a manuel to see what that does, does it activate the drive?

10. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'm pretty sure that this would work for you.

The 'Active' button turns on the Sansamp circuitry. With it off everything is bypassed. All you get is your basses natural tone.

At it's lowest settings, the drive knob is very clean. As you turn it up, distortion increases.

I usually leave it around the 10 o'clock position. Good gain but minimal distortion.

11. sweet deal, thanks alot for your help :)