Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Lately, I've been considering getting an all tube preamp and a seperate power amp rather than an integrated amp. I would be running through Aguilar GS 112 most of the time. Does anyone have any recomendations on a particular power amp? I really don't know much about power amps at all. I'm curious 1: How much power would be appropriate, and 2: What manufacturers should I look at.

I've been browsing the amp forum, and have seen names mentioned like Stewart, Crest, Crown, and QSC. I'd preferably like to get something good, but not to expensive, since I'll most likely be spending a lot on the preamp. Thanks

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I went with the QSC and am getting the SWR Interstella Overdrive to drive it. I'm currently using my SWR SM 400 as a pre.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good idea, Jacob. In general, buy as many watts as you can afford. Just because you have a lot of watts doesn't mean you have to crank 'em all into your cab. Headroom is a GOOD thing.

I'd look closely at the Stewart World line as well as QSC and Mackie. Although a bit heavy, I find the Mackie 1400i a very suitable amp for single cabs and quite flexible, too. They're not that expensive, either. Good luck with whatever you get.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like my QSC RMX 850... It's a good chunk of power, and you can get them brand new for $299 at musicians friend. You can probably get them even cheaper elsewhere.

5. I've realized that the thing that is probobly most important to me is reliability in a power amp. Can anyone comment on which power amps are the most reliable, and can be purchased for no more than $300?

6. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Carvins are reliable enough for me. Just look at this:
    [​IMG]
    and they apparently still work afterward.

They have a 600W for $320

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have a carvin DCM1500 and it works great.. QSC amps are great also..

8. Thanks for the suggestions. I have another question. Could someone explain to me "bridged" means regarding a power amp? How will this work if I'm just using one cabinet?

9. I've got a Carvin DCM1000 that I like, but if I had it to do over again I would have gone with a QSC

10. What exactly is so much better about a QSC as apposed to a Carvin, besides the weight. Is the sound really a lot better? I was under the impression that most of the sound came from the preamp.

11. With a good SS amp, there isn't much difference in tone ( that I can tell ) and YES the pre-amp seems be the determining tone factor in my rigs. I already have 2 QSC power amps ( USA 850 AND USA 1310 ) that I use with my PA. They both work fine. The 1310 gave me a problem a couple of years ago and the dealer I bought it from loaned me an amp to use while he shipped it back to QSC. I bought the Carvin because it was a bit lighter than an RMX 1450. Now if I had it to do over I would have gone ahead and gotten a RMX 1850. It weighs about 40 lbs but so what. An SVT weighs 80lbs. From what I can see, the RMX line is really tough to beat for price and quality. jmho...:D

12. Hi there,

I'm also considering to get me a poweramp (for usage with an Ampeg SVP-Pro). I wanted a QSC RMX or PLX, but those are American amps and over here in Belgium, Europe those things are way overpriced compared to the (cheap) american price rates.

Therefore maybe I'd better get me a European Poweramp (almost no import costs...). Problem is I don't know any good brands from my continent ... :confused:

Are there any Europeans on the board that use euro-power-amps; that are least priced lower than the imported QSC's?

thanks in advance.

13. Thanks,

I'll check out those RAM audio amps. Are they any good for bass preamps?

I also found out that Hartke's co-company Samson makes PA poweramps. Does anyone know it these are any good...?

14. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Zeck, HK Audio, Ecler, Warwick PA, Ashdown PA, and many more. Yamaha and Peavey have good european distribution, too.
    I got Hafler for U.S.A. retail price. It depends on dealer you have in your country, you can get some american products relatively cheap.