Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickelseye, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Ok, I ordered some SWR cabinets. The Goliath Jr and s.o.b. Both are 8 ohms. The cabs are rated at 350 watts rms.

I have a Carvin dcm1500 power amp that I'm hoping to use for power. The 1500 would give it 300 watts per channel @ 8 ohms or 1500 watts bridged. I'm afraid that stereo mode won't be enough power, but bridged mode will be too much power. Will my Carvin dcm1500 be ok for these cabs?

Any thoughts?

Jay

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Bridge it, just don't go nuts with th voume control.

3. Thanks, I'll give that a try.

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If your preamp can Biamp, I would use that option and run the poweramp in stereo mode. This will allow you to control the volume of each cabinet separately - necessary because the sensitivity of each cab is different.

If you run in Bridge Mode, the 2 8ohm cabinets would produce a 4ohm load. This may put more stess on the amp than running it in stereo mode. The SWR 2x10 would most likely be louder than the SWR 1x15 also.
    If at some point in the future you decide to swap one of the cabs with a 4ohm cab, you could blow the amp in bridge mode (8ohm + 4ohm = 2.67ohm).

Are the Peavey Cabs in your tagline 4ohm? If so the Carvin amp is only designed to run 4ohm in bridged mode - you can only run a singe 4ohm cabinet in bridged mode.