1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

power amplify twice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hondadunerider, May 12, 2010.

1. hondadunerider

hondadunerider

Dec 9, 2009
    I have just purchased a Behringer BA810 which is an 8x10 cabinet rated for 2000w @4 ohms. I am wondering if I can get a low wattage head and then run the signal through a pa power amp to have a cost effective alternative to getting a powerful head. For example, I would like to run my input into a behringer ultrabass bxr1800h head and then through a pyle 2000w power amplifier rated at 8ohms. this should give me 1180watts of total power, right?

2. No!...It will give you a broken Pyle power amp in an instant. DO NOT DO THIS! Don't ever plug the output of one amps power section into the input of another amp.

3. Not an expert on power amps like that, but I do know that Behringer speakers usually blow way before you pump the stated amount of power they can "handle" into them. Just be careful.

4. Not exactly. You can't 're-amplify' an amplified signal. I assume you are talking about adding the 180 watts from the Behringer to one, 1000 watt channel of the Pyle. No, doesn't work that way. That makes the Pyle go up in smoke.
    What you CAN do is use the direct out from the Behringer, and connect IT to the Pyle, for an output of 1000 watts, all from the Pyle. You'd be bypassing the amp in the Behringer. Make sense?

5. sirdugh

sirdugh

Dec 22, 2007
    columbia, mo
    Provided the behringer has a pre-amp out, this is how I would go about it.

6. You could use a preamp out from the behringer, to the PA then to the speakers (impedance allowing).

But never plug a power amp output into anything other than a speaker cab (or specially designed device, like some DIs).

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know what you're saying, but it's technically incorrect. For example, I play active basses. They have a preamplifier built in, so the signal leaving the bass had been amplified once. Then I run that signal into an outboard preamp, and it's amplified again. Then I run that signal to a power amp, where it is amplified once more. Also, each of the tone controls on an active bass is an amplifier, too, and can add considerable gain to the output. Ditto the tone stack on most amplifier heads.

Anyway, as a couple of folks have already said, you could take the preamp out, effects send, or tuner out from your amp and run it to the power amp and then to the speakers. If you use the effects send or tuner out to the power amp, you can still run the output of your amp head to a separate cab for more sound. However, the tuner out is most likely before your tone stack, and the effects out may be also.

The key thing you do not want to do is run the speaker output from your head to the input of the power amp. This would be exceedingly bad karma for all components involved.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Doesn't matter how many preamps you run through, (to a point), but the op is talking about 2 poweramps in series. That's where this plan leaves the road.

9. Avoid the Pyle. If you need an affordable amp get a Behringer Ep. Eps are good solid, if heavy/old tech amps, and pretty cheap. Anything cheaper, is not much cheaper, but a whole lot worse.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    just to reiterate DONT plug the speaker outs of your head into a poweramp's inputs.

Like they said, if you can send a line out or post eq effects send from the small head to the inputs of a poweramp, you can them plug the output of the poweramp into your cabinet. I do this with a 150 watt SWR head into a 2000 watt stewart.

if your small head doesnt have some sort of preamp out, oh well. :rolleyes:

11. Was that REALLY necessary? Feel better now? :rolleyes:

12. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    +1

13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You clearly have not come to understand the greatness that is Munji.

14. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Fo rizzle. He's more right than you. There's a distinct difference between preamps and power amps.