Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

power amps and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by number three, Sep 14, 2002.

1. number three

number three

Aug 29, 2002
    I am in the process of setting up a new bass rig
    and am starting to confuse myself.

Just got a Carver PM-900 power amp which runs 350W @ 8 ohms, both channel driven
    450W @ 4 ohms, both channel driven
    900W @ 8 ohms, mono bridged

It seemed like plenty of power for me at a decent price. Two years old, used on sundays for a church pa. almost mint but for a couple mounting scratches. $300

I'm fairly new at all this technical matching of things.

I've been thinking of using my Sansamp Bass Driver
    for the preamp(I've always liked the sound I can get out of it).

So I'm now in the market for a cab where money is certinly an issue. If I'm running this thing bridged, 900W seemes like a pretty expensive cab. I don't need to be that loud for now, mabye in the future.
    Should I get two smaller cabs that could go stereo at 350W. If I do this I'd have to get one at a time. How should it be hooked up in the interum. The manuel says at 8ohms and greater loads bridged mono is recomended. Can I just use one side. I thought I heard amps like to have both sides used. Should I just save up for a while and get a really nice cab and never (hopefully) have to get anything again. The more I reaserch this the more I think I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

Couple more details if it influences things. I like to play the sansamp with the drive cranked all the way up for a twisted nasty sound about half the time and turned down for a clean sound the other half. At this time I don't need to be that loud at all but may play small shows in the future. Also, I've got about $350 presently in the cab fund.