power amps - carvin vs. QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Aug 8, 2002.

1. so, my power amp contenders are currently:

QSC RMX850: less power, less expensive, probably better customer service.

Carvin DCM1000: more power, more money, bad customer service from what i've heard.

basically i'm most concerned about reliability and quality here and would like advice from people who have experience with these products.

i'll be using whatever i get with two bag end S-15Ds.
  2. I owned the RMX-850. You'll never have to worry about QSC customer service, cuz their amps are built like tanks.

When I took delivery of my 850, I opened it up to clean out the shipping peanuts that infiltrated the interior because the shipper was a dolt. This thing is built to last. Yes, they don't have the switching power supplies of the PLX (or light weight), and yes they are built off-shore, but so are all your computer motherboards. QSC did the engineering, and the RMX series works great.

Other than the weight, I would have kept mine. But... my QSC MX-3000a at 69 pounds, permanently cured me of heavy, portable amps.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a Carvin DCM1500 for about four years with no problems.....and I have four QSC poweramps, three I have since the '80's.....with no problems either! I think Carvin amps are good bang for the buck.......but my QSC 2402 has spoiled me with it's lightweight:D
  4. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Get a Carvin. I did and I never looked back. Good quality stuff; you won't have to be calling them anyways.
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What are you gonna use for a preamp?
  6. i'm thinking a peavey max. i was bidding for one on ebay but someone just sniped me. lousy bastard.
  7. He's not a lousy bastard. He was willing to pay more for it than you.

I'm not trying to diss you here at all.. but eBay does not owe anybody a deal or guaranteed purchase. Bid what the item is worth to you. If the price goes over that, c'est la vie.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey DHC,

I actually know the person that got that Max. He's a TBer and he's a pretty nice guy. If I'm not mistaken, he was looking at at least one other Max that was for sale. Why not email him and I'm sure that he would be willing to pass that information on to you. Here's his handle.

9. whoa there, Captain Conclusion of the Jump Patrol. i have no problem with how ebay operates, i was just expressing my disappointment in a joking fashion.

thanks for the info ebozzzzzz.
  10. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    [Jazzbo voice]

Children, behave.

[/Jazzbo voice]
  11. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    allow me if you will to go back to the original topic.. I have a carvin DCM1500 and It works great. I can't say good or bad things about QSC.. I imagine they are great aswell. either way you'll be happy I think... honestly you can't go wrong with either.
    I think however you may want to go for alittle more power.. are you still going to get 2 8 ohm cabs?? or just stick with one??
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just to speak to this point, I dunno where this opinion about Carvin CS comes from, but IMO it's off base. I've been dealing with them for years, and I've never had a bad CS experience. In fact, they've gone above and beyond for me a couple of times.

This is not to knock QSC by any means, because their stuff is great.
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've heard lots of friends gripe about Carvin's inability to get their guitar order right the first time, but nevertheless I bought a DCM2000 power amp from Carvin two years ago. Never a problem, it works great and has plenty-o-beef.
  14. I've had a DCM1000 for about 9 months now. No probs, lots of clean/uncolored power, 2 rack spaces, lightweight. What's not to like?

My most recent use was in a medium sized room (200-300) where it and one SWR GII provided all the bass in a style of music that requires the bass to be on top (Zydeco). It kicked! :D
  15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I know this isn't one of the choices you listed, but if the $370 Carvin is in the running, I would spend an extra $30 and get a Crown CE1000. (Also, right now, most on line dealers, Musicians Friend, zZounds, etc., are offering free shipping on items in this price range).

16. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I have never owned a Carvin amp that I did not have to send back...at least once....until now:eek: I started with the R600. It had to go back two or three times and finally quit. They did cover the last repair even though it was about 30 days beyond the warranty. I had to pay shipping to them, and I believe they returned it at their expense. So when my R600 quit for good I was in a catch 22. It was worthless in the condition it was in, and Carvin offers an upgrade program. So regardless of it's condition, I was able to upgrade to the R1000 for 350 Bucks. So I ship it once again to Carvin for the trade (this time I had to pay shipping both ways about 20 bucks a pop). Within two weeks the new R1000 quits. I think something in the preamp. This time they send a call tag for it,( thank you Carvin), and ship me another. I have not had any problems with the new amp, but it has not had alot of hard use. It does have "Plenty-O-Power". The customer service at Carvin is not bad. You can tell the guy in charge of CS there is stressed out if you can get him; And he needs a change! But he will take care of you. The real hassle is the shipping expense and being without your amp for 4 to 6 weeks at a clip. You want Carvin? Make me an offer:D I have been drooling over the PLX series for over a year now.......... Save your cash and get the a PLX, or MY CARVIN:eek:
  17. While there are reports of mixed results for the bass heads (some folks love 'em, others hate 'em), the power amps get pretty good reviews. The caveat is that the DCM1000 has been reported to go into thermal protection under a heavy 2 ohm stereo load. Frankly, I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be running 2 ohms stereo.

The RMX or PLX series might hold up better, OTOH, the RMX amp is much heavier and the PLX is much more expensive. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got another choice that I'm personally very happy with. Great build quality, cleaner sounding than the PLX series IMO, VERY quiet fan, slightly heavier than the PLX series and much less expensive. I've had a chance to compare my amp head to head against a PLX 1602. Both have comparable power ratings but I prefer my choice. I've mentioned these amps on a few occasions in this forum. I guess one more time won't hurt. ;)

19. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I almost always run my R1000 bridged Cause I want all the head room I can get and I only have a 2x12 4ohm cab. No problems in running two ohms here:cool:

Ebozz, you got a link? I couldn't find anything when I searched.