Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amps for Bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by travatron4000, Sep 15, 2003.

1. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I was wondering if it's possible to run a direct out from a bass head straight to a power amp then to a cab. Basicaly i want to be able to expand the output of my 115 combo. I was just wondering if all the ohm and voltage ammounts are correct from a bass amps XLR balanced direct out to a power amps XLR balanced input?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Try it and find out. If it isn't hot enough to drive the amp to full output, you can get a passive device like an Ebtech Line Leveler (about $70) to convert (i.e. transform) and instrument level signal to a line level signal.

You could get a small Behringer mixer for less than that to do the same thing, plus it would give you some extra (and independant) EQ for the new amp and speakers.

3. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    so i think i found in the specs for a crown power amp and for my combo the input and output voltage, respectivly, and there's a difference. does it matter?

From the power amp specs:The power amplifier shall meet or exceed the following performance criteria: Input
    sensitivity for rated output at 4 ohms: 0.725 V.

From the combo: Line Out Level 1.78V RMS.

this is an idea i've had for a while but i dont want to invest the money in either the cab or the amp if its not gonna work or if its not gonna work right.

thanks