Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Amps in the UK - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter Weil, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade to an Acme rig and need some serious power. Where do all the UK TBers recommend getting power amps from? They seem to be pretty expensive beasts, especially if you're looking at the QSC PLX series.....

I'm mainly interested in getting value for money, especially if its light....eg the Stewart World 2.1 or QSC PLX.....

I just don't know where to get the best deal. Any suggestions, anyone?

Pete

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    did you get your acme speakers / cabs imported? how did that work?

3. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hey.

No I haven't *yet* imported anything from Acme. I expect it to be expensive when I do so I'm trying to get the best deal on a power amp that I can.

When the time comes to purchase though it will be a little expensive.....

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    depends where you live. There is a beastly shop in brighton called www.gak.com or you could try the guitar centre in london. My menotor says its the only place he could get an ampeg, plus its where he got his passion vigier from.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  6. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've had a look at gak.co.uk before - it's ok for some Mackie and Peavey stuff but doesn't really have a lot of other things. Thanks for the suggestion though guys.

Anyone else got a place to buy power amps?

Pete

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've just bought a QSC PLX 3002 off ebay, had it shipped to the factory for 230v conversion and am then having it shipped to me. Total cost about £500. If you get two 8 ohms cabs you could just use a PLX 1602 which would give you 800W per cab and work out even cheaper.

Alex

8. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    http://www.dancetech.com

Go to store at the top right, and search for power amp....

Those 't. amps' look pretty interesting, and dirt cheap too.........

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    THIS one certainly seems to be of interest..

i dont know much about power amp specs but maybe someone could check these out

T.Amp TA1050 Power Amplifier, 2 x 525 Watt 4Ohm, 19", input sensitivity 0,775V, SlewRate 40V/µs, Damping Factor 300:1/1kHz/ 8Ohm, works on 2 ohms, short circuit protected, THD<0,05%/1kHz, 2HE, depth: 44cm, In: Jack+XLR, Out: Speakon+Binding Post, rem: very good quality/value ratio !!!

2 x 525 watt is not to be sinffed at for £200 if its suitable for bass amp application

10. http://rockfactory.co.uk/PAdept/poweramps.htm

http://www.spectresound.co.uk/

http://www.spectresound.co.uk/productlist.asp?PageName=Bass Amps and Cabs&CategoryID=7

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/index.php?page_id=60

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    spectre sound is in the town over from where i live, and i'd like to say it possibly the greatest guitar shop ever.. they know their ****

12. Whatever you do, don't touch the Rockfactory, it's a complete rip-off.

13. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Rockfactory looks okay, but the prices aren't so hot.

Treena, thanks for all the links! Very helpful.

I can't believe the price of those T amps!!! Really ridiculous. Not very light looking (but no weights published) but pretty cheap - anyone heard of the beasties?

Alex Claber - The QSC conversion sounds interesting. I'd love to get QSC PLX amp but the high prices for the more powerful ones scare me...sounds like you got a fairly amazing bargain. You wouldn't mind pm'ing me the details of that deal would you? I'd like to repeat it...

Anyone have any opinions of the Peavey DPC 1400? I've seen one on ebay that I might consider...

Thanks all.

Pete

14. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Sorry guys - I meant to say in my last post I found another interesting light 1U power amp made in the uk.

It's the Smartlight SL1200, which has 600W x 2 mono or 1200W bridged for approx £599. Not bad for this side of the pond....anyone heard of these? Here's the link: Http://www.smartsounddirect.com/content/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=SSD0055

Edit: I also have just found a link to a review of the Smartlight 1200 in Guitarist: http://www.guitarist.co.uk/print.asp?ID=526&type=rev

I'd love to hear about t amps though!!

Pete

15. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yoohoo? Anybody else want to chime in?

Or, more conventionally, BUMP.

16. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    You could always have a look through eBay. A couple of QSC amps come up a day there. Although there are none there at the mo'

I got my power amp off eBay. 390 watt/side into 8 ohm for a little over £200

Its one of these.
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/common/moreinfo.asp?ID=1229

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Soundslive are very cheap for power amps. Those Peavey DPC1400 amps are very good - if you see one going cheap, snap it up!

Alex

18. One thing to think about is if you wish to run the amp bridged into a mono output, then you might need an amp that will bridge down into 4ohms.

A lot of power amps will run bridged at 8ohms but not 4.
    eg The Peavey DPC 1400 will bridge to 4ohms but the DPC1000 will only bridge to 8ohms

You could try out the Behringer range of power amps. They do an EP1500 new for £250 1500w bridged into 4ohms or run it stereo.

I recently bought one to use with an SWR Grand Prix Pre-amp as a back up/rehearsal rig and works very well. Its probably the best UK option for the price.
    http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=EP1500&lang=eng

Dave

19. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for the links guys!

Those Behringer amps are crazy good prices! 281 UKP for a 1200W amp? However I notice it only gets max output in stereo at 2 ohms....I'd probably end up going for the more powerful one if I decided to purchase....

The Matrix amp also looks pretty good. I didn''t realise about the plethora of power amp choices, even in the UK. I am going to have to make a list to post on here about all of the amps that I have found out about, their respective power ratings, price, and weight (if anyone's interested). I might not do this uintil the weekend due to time constraints but I'm finding so much for sale that it might be of interest to someone else.

My ultimate plan for the amp is to power either an Acme B2 or B4. If I get a B2 I'd like to have an option to add a second B2 therefore I'd get an amp which could handle this. however, I hear one low B2 cab can handle a gig of 100-200 people in a medium to large size room and I don't plan on any stadium gigs anytime soon :D, so maybe just one low B2.

Pete

20. Peter Weil

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi all.

Just to let you know - I managed to score a secondhand Peavey DPC 1000 off ebay for £330. Not bad!

So now I just need to mate it to a cab.

Pete