1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power amps - Peavey IPR1600/Crown XLS1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dincz, Jul 13, 2012.

1. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    On paper it looks like either would do the job of driving my 8Ω cab with headroom to spare - bridged IPR: 1060W, XLS: 700W. Apart from the slight fiddle involved in bridging the IPR, is there anything else you'd consider in choosing between the two? Reliability?

2. I don't have experience with the IPR, only the XLS1500. From what I have read, with those particular models you might find the XLS1000 underpowered compared to the IRP (not because of the 300watt difference), if you prefer the Crown, then go for the XLS1500, that will give you better volume, headroom, is the same size and weight and is only marginally more $$

When it first came out many people posted that the XLS1000 sounded underpowered, for it's rating, maybe that was user error or not, but make sure you are running the correctly wired cable for bridge mode

Either way I don't think you can go wrong

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd be considering the input sensitivity, depending on your pre.

4. ^ thats a very good point

5. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Thanks for the replies. I've got +18dBu on tap from the preamp so no problem with sensitivity.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Only thing that would be different is if you got the DSP

The Peavey IPR DSP has features no other DSP has. (except for Crest)