1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power Amps - Power consumption

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simpy1, Apr 27, 2006.

1. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Anyone know how to read these figures? I've read one recently that is lower than the maximum output of the amp - i.e. It is ~2000W Bridged mono @ 4 ohms, but power consumption is apparently 880W.

How can this be? Is this 'average' or 'idle' or something?

2. Must be avg or idle rating. Energy can not be created or destroyed. The power that goes into the speaker comes out of the wall. And a fair amount is wasted as heat, so MORE comes out of the wall than what goes into the speakers.

Randy

3. power = voltage x current

Since the voltage and current that goes INTO a power amp is not the same as the voltage and current that comes OUT of a power amp, then there need be no specific relationship between the amps power consumption and it's audio power rating - It all depends on the amps efficiency. Hence, it's different for every amp, maybe only by a small amount, but you cannot accurately determine one just by applying a formula to the other. (I hope folks understand that!)

The other issue is of incomplete specifications and the mystery of testing procedures. Heck, a 5mm LED will produce 5W of light... for about 1/100th of a second when you hook it up to 500V! Are they talking peak or RMS watts? Can it sustain 2000W for 2 hours or does it overheat and shutdown within a minute?