1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Amps (Smallest and Lightest)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnycat42, Aug 4, 2007.

1. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have decided to run a power amp from my SANSAMP Programable BDDI for my main rig but I like the portability. Does anyone make a power amp in the same vain as the MarkBass LMII? I am looking for something small and light that is at least 300 watts.

2. I was looking for one myself and gave up. LOL. Have a QSC PLX1104 in shipment. 2u still, but 13lb. You might want to check out the Stewart Audio World 1.2

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Two Acoustic Image Focus SA power amps both sold very quickly in the Classifieds, recently. But you can always bypass the preamp of any lightweight bass head. The LMII and Clarus heads are powerful, and they are not exorbitant.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I just find it ridiculous that you cant find power amps for cheap. I dont get it. Why are they more than heads that have preamp/power together? And heavier?

5. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/

Check out their Class D modules. You'll need to find a proper enclosure and wire all necessary connections from your choice of connectors to the module. A bit of tinkering but well worth it in my opinion.

I'm currently using a DigiMod 1500, which is rated 750 W @ 4 ohms per channel (EIA spec). It weighs about 2.5 lbs and measures 216 mm x 122 mm x 51 mm (~8.5" x 4.8" x 2")

6. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Anyone tried the Stewart vs. the QSC PLX1104. The World Tour is one rack space and about 2# lighter. Advantage is the ability to bridge (which I don't need at the moment). Disadvantage vs the 1104 is that you get more watts running per side at 4ohms (I have 2 - 4ohm cabs). Just curious if anyone has used both, etc.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Check out a Yamaha BBT500H head. I've got one; it's 500w@2ohms, weighs about 5,5 kg and sounds great.

Another plus is the price. Minuses are that they don't make that one anymore and it's got a hiss sound if you play it with passive instruments, which is all I have and prefer.

I'd like to try out a Markbass. The price is just too high for me...

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've seen and heard Stewart WORLD amps, but never heard of WORLD TOUR. Which model? The Stewart World 1.2 in my experience is unreliable and requires extra rack space if actually required to make full rated output for prolonged periods. The other Stewart World series models are a better design but I've had good experiences with QSC PLX.

It would be nice to see ultralite rackmount amps, but not at the cost of top-notch and honest specs, with good thermal and short protection features, and ultimately reliability.

9. BullCityBass

BullCityBass

Jun 14, 2005
    Durham, NC
    If smallest and lightest are truly what you are looking for, then the Acoustic Image heads are where its at. If you go with the Clarus or Focus head, you can power your SansAmp via the phantom power that the head provides (one less cord to worry about).

I am using a clarus right now while my focus is being built. I run an Xotic BB Bass preamp infront of it and LOVE it!

10. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Oops, I just meant world, not world tour. The 1.2 is what I was looking at but I'm leaning towards the PLX1104 to be honest. That and my aguilar db659 would still way under 20# + the rack.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The Crown XTi series looks pretty decent too - for me their included DSP is an attraction, though for some it might be off-putting. Actually though, it's a good way to do Berg IP type stuff without the pricetag.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Define cheap? The Behringer EP2500 (2400 W into 4 ohm bridged) can be had for under $300.

As far as weight goes, power amps usually push a lot more power than integrated bass heads. Those big transformers usually add a lot of weight, but you can get some very powerful power amps in the sub 20 lbs range.

13. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Peavey DPC series...

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just in terms of smallest and lightest, the Bose Packlite is tiny. They sell for $400 new, $250 used. I just bought one used. The down side is they are only 250W at 4 ohms, but at least they are small, light, and not too expensive (used).

15. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Does the Bose get loud enough? In most situations, an honest 250 watts can be enough to get the job done. Although it is always nice to have more just in case.

16. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Here are some pics of the DPC single rack unit.

Attached Files:

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I haven't actually received the Bose yet to test. But it has a 1.15V input sensitivity, and claimed 30dB gain, so if you feed it a fairly hot signal and use an efficient cab, it should get plenty loud.

18. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Impressive.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, I received the Bose Packlite today. As I supposed, feeding it a hot signal and running it into an efficient cab, it can get very very loud. Of course the flip side is it will seem wimpy if your preamp output is not hot or your cab is inefficient. It has no gain controls, it is on "full power" at all times, so I actually had to cut the output gain of my preamp to about half normal just to play at a level that wasn't too loud for my ears. This will be a fine power amp for at-home use, or any small gig. It also has a "thru" output, so for example if you have two Wizzy cabs you could daisy-chain two Packlites for them. The construction quality seems quite good and tough, but of course I haven't really put it through a strenuous test like a gig on a hot day or anything yet. It's only about an inch smaller on each side than an 800W Acoustic Image Focus SA, but again it only cost me $250 used, and it has enough power for my purposes.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego