Power amps, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by LaSalle Dioxide, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I've been thinking of using my Gallien Krueger 700RB and SansAmp Bass Driver unit as preamps into something like a Crown K1 .....

I've been reading that Mackie's m1400i is really good for the money, but I don't know if I'd be losing a ton of sound quality potential if I buy a more budget power amp.

I like a pounding, very articulated, mean bass tone. I think I'm getting it already with my current set-up, but I think I'm pushing my GK pretty hard and would like to free-up some head room.

Does anyone know much about power amps with super high damping factor? Crown claims to have the highest damping factor of any power amp. Their K1 and K2 has something like a >3000 damping factor. What will a high a damping factor translate to in sound quality? I assume that it increases the level of punchiness and clarity. To anyone who knows, please elaborate.
  2. Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    I don't know anything about damping factor, but here's my rack:

My power amp is rated at 2000W bridged. I run it in stereo (650W @ 4 ohms) into an Avatar B210 and an Avatar B115H. I like the sound and it's very loud.
  3. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    The damping factor is how well your amp controls your speakers movement after the sound has stopped going to it. Over 200 is pretty good.

Maybe some of the more knowledgable guys will make it here to give some specific operational characteristics.