Power amps, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaSalle Dioxide, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I've been thinking of using my Gallien Krueger 700RB and SansAmp Bass Driver unit as preamps into something like a Crown K1 .....

I've been reading that Mackie's m1400i is really good for the money, but I don't know if I'd be losing a ton of sound quality potential if I buy a more budget power amp.

I like a pounding, very articulated, mean bass tone. I think I'm getting it already with my current set-up, but I think I'm pushing my GK pretty hard and would like to free-up some head room.

Does anyone know much about poweramps with super high damping factor? Crown claims to have the highest damping factor of any power amp. Their K1 and K2 has something like a >3000 damping factor. What will a high a damping factor translate to in sound quality? I assume that it increases the level of punchiness and clarity. To anyone who knows, please elaborate.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    How about a nice Stewart World 2.1? 1000 watts a side in stereo, or 2100 watts into 4 ohms bridged. 17 pounds. Nice amp. I've seen these recently on eBay in the 650 range. Another one I can highly recommend is the Carvin DCM series, a little less money but a lot heavier. Very reliable though, and clean as a whistle.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Anything by QSC.