1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Power amps that have serious Power! CA-9 DCM-2500 ect.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joegeezer, Apr 27, 2009.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    View attachment 126676 Well, I have a new power amp, I just stumbled into, maybe others have seen it already. The Crest CA-9 is the touted leader for bass players, but they are the large frame, large rack type, and the older ones have no speak-ons, and you have to take off the top cover to get to the bridge switch, but they still have the big horsepower. Then the one I use, because of the smaller frame, is the Carvin DCM-2500. It's drawback is that even though it fits a short rack, it's 3 spaces tall. Plus's are speak-ons and bridge switches and 1/4" jacks and all are at easy access, although not quite as much power as the CA-9, but close. Here's the new and very economical runner up. The Behringer EP-4000. It's a large frame for a drawback,but a 2 space, and has all the speak-ons and swithches easy to get at , in the rear access panel. The really nice part is, it does a sine wave at 950 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Sweet! Right now, on E-Bay for 350.00 with free shipping!!! Sweeter yet!!!! If I could get one past the wife, I'd order one up and give it the big try out.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    As much as Behr sometimes deserves the scorn they get, I've only read good things about their power amps.

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
  4. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
  5. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    the mac 2500
    and before that
    the mac 2300

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Honestly, my favorite alternative to the CA-9 is the CA-6.

Matt R likes this.
  7. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i tell everyone who asks me my fav amps.

here goes!

all new dcm 3000 L ( 16 pound carvin power amp stereo ) tons of loud

qsc plx 1804 ( super light weight as well! )

and my old ( but heavy ) tank of an amp crown k2 !!!! 40 pounds of tank!

8. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    I have one in my rack and have headroom for days.......13 pounds and 900 per side into 4ohms......I have it pumping two Epifani UL410s1 cabs and I dont think I will ever need to move more air than what I am doing now.

V

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    My point is for all of us broke people out here. I'm sure that your power amp ran way over 350.00 bucks shipped to your house though. This is an amp for the masses here. This and the Behringer V-amp pro, and a rack tuner and the rack itself, and we're talking about a 700.00 buck 2000 watt head here. Hard to beat that for the younger crowd, and even for my old crowd.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I paid $510.00 for my PLX2 1804 shipped to my door.

Sold my CA-9 to pay for it. Sold it for $500.00

CA Series are dang good Amps but will freakin kill ya toating them.

You'll only end up getting a PLX2 later, might as well save up a few more buckaroos and get one.

Does not bridge but exceeds the CA-9 Specs in stereo.

11. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Man, I've gotta try one of those. Did you buy it new, at that price? The Peavey DPX1400 I had, would NOT do the duty I needed, and when those things clipped, the noise would just about make your spine tingle. Does the QSC do that at a clip, or haven't you pushed it to a clip yet. Have you tried to? Do you get afraid of driver damage before it gets that far?? I do with the Carvin, I know. I'm afraid of leaving the lead sled, for that harse clipping noise. A couple of times of that noise, and all drivers would be gone. But that 13 lbs as to mine at about 50, sure sounds good to my back. That would be perfect for my uses also, as I've no need to bridge at all. In fact I don't like to bridge any of my power amps. Seems like a waste of their use, to push them that hard, if you want them to last at all.

12. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL

I purchased my 1804 used here on TB and didnt spend much......so the new gear doesnt always have to be uber expensive.

V

13. My CA9 has the bridge/stereo switch on the back, not inside and it is 2 rack spaces and fits in my SKB case. I compared it head to head (cheap pun) with a PLX3402 and the Crest won out. I will have to agree that it is THE amp for bass players.

14. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Here's the backside:

[​IMG]

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The EP4000 appears to be the old EP2500 with "peak" power ratings added.

16. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    2K watts is way more power than I'll ever need. The electrovoice is cheaper and gives you that power amp "slam" in the low end that most folks are looking for.

But yes, it's only 600 Watts

17. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Bob, how about answering the questions I have posed about the 1804? Thanks!

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I'm sorry, joe, I don't see any questions. ??

19. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    here

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Are you asking about distortion when the amp clips? I assumed you were asking Red Planet about his experiences with the amp.

If so, each channel of the PLX1804 has a clip limiter that reduces distortion when it clips. The clip limiter doesn't prevent clipping, but reduces the objectionable effects of it.